TITLE: The Dog Park Murders
AUTHOR: Angela Barker
PUBLISHER: Harlequin
PUBLISHING DATE: August 26, 2026
PAGES: 304
SOURCE: ARC
FROM GOODREADS: Juliette Macintyre has never met a dog she didn’t love. For one thing, dogs don’t judge, unlike the human residents of Labrador Falls. Most locals look at her with suspicion because her father was once a dirty cop, even though Juliette is upbeat, helpful, and the best pet groomer around. She just needs to prove it…starting with new resident Joel Cunningham, an enigma wrapped in a checked shirt and a scowl.
Joel runs the Brewed Awakening café, where the coffee is as smooth as Joel is surly. He doesn’t serve pumpkin spice, he doesn’t chitchat, and he claims he doesn’t like dogs. Yet when Juliette stumbles upon a dead body in the dog park, strangled with one of her custom leashes, Joel becomes an unexpected ally.
He has no intention of opening up, to either his cute neighbor or the foster pup she foists on him. But he can’t let a biased detective frame Juliette for murder. Whoever killed the widely loathed Maurice Allsop may be desperate enough to strike again. If they can just ignore their chemistry and focus on the clues, Juliette and Joel might be able to solve the case—before somebody else bites the dust…
Juliette Macintyre and her twin Norah have lived in Labrador Falls their entire lives. Juliette works for a local dog groomer and is working up to buy her way into the business. Norah works as a cleaner and is the Goth Emo to Juliette's sorta sunshine personality. See, when they were in high school, their father, who was Chief of Police back then, did something which cost him his job and unfortunately, had a negative impact on his daughters. Juliette feels like the whole town continues to Judge her and it's the constant cloud over her head.
One evening, Juliette has a disagreement with Maurice Allsop at the local dog park, a rich individual who is going through his third divorce and who is disliked by most of the town. The next morning, while walking her foster dog, she just happens to find Maurice in the same park, face down and dead. The local police would love nothing more than to pin the murder on Juliette. Feeling like she will be considered guilty no matter what due to her father's past deeds, she ends up talking the neighborhood coffee shop owner, Joel, into helping her. Joel hasn't lived in Labrador Falls long and he moved there to escape a past of his own. He really wants to be left alone, but he is somewhat drawn to Juliette and really doesn't want her to out herself in danger. Together, along with Juliette's foster dog, one of the cutest dogs ever, the two work to find out what really happened to Maurice and why.
Joes and Juliette have some great moments together and I loved some of their banter. I also enjoyed learning more about both of their pasts. I think this book would be great for readers who want a tad bit of romance to their cozy reads or what more mystery in their romance. The dogs were super cute too. I loved Juliette's foster dog and of course, his ending was perfect.
This appears to be the first in a series and I'm really looking forward to the next installment. I suspect it will involve Norah, but I could be wrong. Not a perfect read but definitely a good one!
MY RATING: 4 PAWS

Wow, dogs, romance and mystery, that's a combo I would love! Plus I have a soft spot for anyone who fosters😁
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a lot of fun! I didn't know Harlequin was dabbling in cozy mysteries. I do love a book with cute dogs in it. :D
ReplyDeleteI saw this one but cozy mysteries are sometimes just too ridiculous or quirky for me. Wonderful review!
ReplyDeleteAnne - Books of My Heart