Friday, August 7, 2020

A Great Autumn Read Recommendation - The Malan Witch

TITLE: The Malan Witch
AUTHOR: Catherine Cavendish
PUBLISHER: Silver Shamrock Publishing
PUBLISHING DATE: August 18, 2020


FROM GOODREADS: 

"Naught remained of their bodies to be buried, for the crows took back what was theirs." 

An idyllic coastal cottage near a sleepy village. What could be more perfect? For Robyn Crowe, borrowing her sister’s recently renovated holiday home for the summer seems just what she needs to deal with the grief of losing her beloved husband.

But behind those pretty walls lie many secrets, and legends of a malevolent sisterhood—two witches burned for their evil centuries earlier. Once, both their vile spirits were trapped there. Now, one has been released. One who is determined to find her sister. Only Robyn stands in her way. 

And the crow has returned.  

MY THOUGHTS: Sometimes I feel when I read novella length books I am missing something.  I suppose it has something to do with character development and plot being shortcut in some manner.  But this is definitely not the case with The Malan Witch.  Despite its shorter length I found it to be a highly immersive and complete tale.

Robyn Crowe lost her husband six months ago and still in the depths of grief, she decides to go stay in her sister's vacation coastal cottage.  While the place has been recently renovated, it is also extremely old and Robyn soon starts to learn that many secrets are held within the walls of the place dubbed the Malan cottage.  Before Robyn knows it, she starts feeling and seeing things in the home and there is also a crow hovering around that refuses to leave.  After speaking with locals, she discovers that the home is on the property where two witches were once burned.  Could the incidents be related and if so, what could the spirits want from Robyn?

I've read another book by Cavendish last year and really enjoyed it so when she reached out to me, I couldn't pass this one up.  Cavendish has a wonderful ability to create Gothic atmospheres and while reading this, I kept thinking it would be a perfect read for a crisp autumn night with the wind rustling outside and a candle flickering in the corner.  I was immediately attached to Robyn and felt both her grief and her fear.  I also really liked the side characters whom Robyn sought out for help.  And finally, there was even a twist or two thrown into the tale for good measure which made it only that much more enjoyable.  Do I feel the story could have been longer?  Well, as an avid reader, probably so.  But do I feel it needed to be?  Absolutely not.  And if you are looking for a fairly quick read full of suspense and atmosphere then look no further.  Cavendish is quickly becoming a go-to author when I'm in the mood for spooky, Gothic scares.

RATING:  4 PAWS



13 comments:

  1. I agree that a novella can be a tricky thing to make feel complete. Add to this one the gothic elements and it sounds like a real winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be so much fun to read during the spooky season.

      Delete
  2. It's always good to get a novella that has a complete story and satisfying length. Twists are always fun too! I'll be trying to read a few of them this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, sometimes they just don't work for me but I'm glad this one did!

      Delete
  3. This sounds really good, and I love that the author did a good job with the length. Novellas are definitely tricky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be. They're usually either hit or miss with me!

      Delete
  4. I thin that if an author can make a novella feel like a complete book, without need more, that's definitely a book to add to your TBR -- especially for me, because often times, I do feel there could be something more in books of this length. And what an introduction to this author as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And face it, sometimes we just need a shorter read in our lives!

      Delete
  5. I love stories where people start seeing things. 😯 Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 👍✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you'd love this one! Plus crows - and after S.T. in Hollow Kingdom, I do love my crows!

      Delete
  6. Ooh this sounds good! Watch out for those crows!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, unless it's S.T. from Hollow Kingdom. He can visit any day!

      Delete
  7. Sounds good. Sometimes I love a shorter book. And you are right... it's a treat to find a well written novella. 👍✨

    ReplyDelete