Thursday, May 18, 2023

2 Bloggers 1 Book - The Only Survivors

 


When Stormi said she planned on reading more thrillers this year and asked if I wanted to buddy read some with her, I didn't hesitate.  I usually love thrillers, and this gave me an excuse to read some more.  However, I think before the end of the year is out both Stormi and I might regret this decision.  So read on to see my thoughts on our latest endeavor and then check out Stormi's over at Storm Reads.


TITLE: The Only Survivors
AUTHOR: Megan Miranda
PUBLISHER: Quercus
PUBLISHING DATE: April 11, 2023
PAGES: 339
SOURCE: Library

FROM GOODREADS: A mystery about a group of former classmates who reunite to mark the tenth anniversary of a tragic accident—only to have one of the survivors disappear, casting fear and suspicion on the original tragedy.

MY THOUGHTS:  So a group of kids in high school experience a traumatic event their senior year and every year, the survivors gather together to get through the anniversary together.  That alone is concerning enough because it's evident that this incident is the only thing they all still have in common so why they force themselves to spend a week together was one of my first questions going in to this. 

But anyway, this year they are missing a person because he couldn't take it anymore and overdosed and his best friend of the whole group doesn't find out until 3 months later so there is a bigger cloud than normal hanging over everyone's heads on this year's anniversary.  Slowly the trip starts to unravel and I won't spoil anything else in case my review makes you want to run out and grab a copy - I'm betting it doesn't.

I have to say this was one of the most unthrilling thrillers I've read in a while.  I think most of the "twists" if you want to even call them than, were predictable and the end was just "meh."  I didn't like any of these people and as I've said, I don't feel like I have to like the characters to like the book but I didn't even hate these ones enough to make reading it fun.  This is my second Miranda book and I'm beginning to think she isn't the author for me.  It will have to be a pretty good premise for me to pick up another one.  

RATING: 2 stars (and that feels generous)


4 comments:

  1. Good to know! I struggle sometimes with psychological thrillers or ones with an unreliable narrator or unlikeable characters. I do love police procedurals because sometimes there is a smart investigation, people who care and closure at the end.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that both you and Stormi gave this 2 stars tells me this isn't for me either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry that this wasn't as good as you'd have hoped it would be. I read one book by her in the past, her debut, I think, and it was pretty decent though. I hope your next read is better! Thanks for sharing! :)

    https://roarsandechoes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's too bad. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to read this one or not, but I'm thinking I wouldn't love it either.

    ReplyDelete