Thursday, June 27, 2024

2 Bloggers 1 Series - Storm Front (The Dresden Files #1)


 

So, I just finished up one Urban Fantasy series and was already missing it when Stormi mentioned she and another friend were doing a reread of The Dresden File series.  I started this series a long time ago (I checked, it was 2014), got five books in and then quit.  Not because I wasn't liking it though, it just feel by the wayside.  So, I took Stormi's reread as a sign to hop back in so technically the first five books will be rereads but as I remember nothing except the talking skull named Bob, I'm treating them as new again.

So read on for my thoughts and then hop over to Stormi's at Storm Reads and see what she thinks.

 

TITLE: Storm Front (The Dresden Files #1)
AUTHOR: Jim Butcher
PUBLISHER: ROC
PUBLISHING DATE: April 1, 2000
PAGES: 336   
SOURCE: Library


FROM GOODREADS: HARRY DRESDEN — WIZARD 
Lost Items Found. Paranormal Investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates. No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment. 
Harry Dresden is the best at what he does. Well, technically, he's the only at what he does. So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal creativity or capability, they come to him for answers. For the "everyday" world is actually full of strange and magical things—and most don't play well with humans. That's where Harry comes in. Takes a wizard to catch a—well, whatever. There's just one problem. Business, to put it mildly, stinks. 
So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name. And that's when things start to get interesting. 
Magic - it can get a guy killed.

MY THOUGHTS:  This book was a lot of set up about Harry Dresden, what he does, why he does it and basic worldbuilding.  Which in a series that is currently 18 books long is to be expected.  

Harry Dresden is a wizard and a private investigator specializing in the supernatural and unexplained.  He is sometimes commissioned by the local police force to assist them with incidents outside of their league, even though it seems they do so reluctantly.  In this first book, two people have been murdered and law enforcement suspects something powerful is responsible.  The dead giveaway is that their hearts actually exploded out of their chests.  Harry is behind on his rent so he also takes a side job locating a missing husband.  Harry suspects the husband might be dabbling in some pretty shady stuff, and as the book progresses, he expects the two cases may be connected in one way or another.

I really enjoy Harry.  He has a sarcastic and snarky attitude and lots of colorful friends.  I loved his overly large cat, Mister, and remember Bob, the talking skull (actually he has been imprisoned within the skull) who helps Harry create potions and things in his basement lab.  The mystery was intriguing and introduced us to several supernatural beings and side characters.  The ending was action-packed and had just enough element of mystery to keep me guessing.

I am really excited to continue on with this series next month.  While I don't know if I will end up loving this series as much as I did the White Trash Zombie one, I do believe it may satisfy my recent urban fantasy urges.  

MY RATING: 4 PAWS


4 comments:

  1. Great review! Glad you joined me and Amy on the reread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy these! I've read the whole series and wanted to do a Read-along of it for a reread but then pivoted to some shorter series for now. Anyway, people say the first 4 are just good and they get better from there. The audio is amazing.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series! I just reread Proven Guilty, which is one of my favs. And I also really love Blood Rites because that's where Harry gets Mouse...who becomes my most favorite character of all. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still need to start this! I don't think I've ever read a Jim Butcher book which surprises me, lol. It sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete