Friday, September 18, 2026

And I Thought Conner Was My Favorite Sister

TITLE: Free Falling (Sweetwater Peak #2)
AUTHOR: Lyla Sage
PUBLISHER: Dial Press
PUBLISHING DATE: September 22, 2026
PAGES: 336   
SOURCE: ARC


FROM GOODREADS: 
Old haunts, new feelings. 
The #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Rebel Blue Ranch series returns to the haunted town of Sweetwater Peak for another love story, this one featuring an antique shop owner and a farmer who fake a relationship to save their legacies…but will they be able to fool the ghosts of their past? 
Clarke Cartwright probably needed to get out more. She just had a lot to do. Running Toade’s Antiques was no small feat, especially considering that the roof was in shambles and half her merchandise was unsellable. But dealing with that felt easier than her other two options: third-wheeling with her best friend…again, or chatting it up with the ghost of her childhood crush’s father, who just can’t seem to leave her alone. 
Leith Wilkes has spent his life preparing to take over his family's farm. Well, he’s actually spent most of his life flirting, but now he’s ready to buckle down, which has nothing to do with an oddly specific clause that his dad left in his inheritance. Leith is pretty sure he’s the only one who knows about it…until Clarke drunkenly spills that she knows, too, along with a bunch of other Wilkes family secrets. 
Leith starts to wonder if there’s more to Clarke than she lets on…and if his dad has something to do with it. And if she is keeping secrets of her own, maybe she won’t mind helping him with his.

MY THOUGHTS: So I read the first book in this duology, which featured Clarke's twin sister, Conner, in January of this year and loved it.  I became a die-hard fan of Lyla Sage after devouring her Rebel Blue Ranch series when my mom was in the hospital in 2025.  This series may not have a ranch and cowboys (although this book did feature a farm) but it does have a small-town vibe with paranormal aspects.  No matter what it has, this one knocked all my expectations out of the ballpark again and even though I was sure I would like an entire book about Clarke after meeting her in the first one, I was completely wrong.

Clarke is still reeling from the storm that caused havoc with the family-owned antique store in Sweetwater Peak.  On top of that, she is getting really tired of avoiding the ghosts that keep trying to reach out to her and which are causing her headaches to worsen by the week.  However, a few weeks back, an old school friend's (kind of more like annoying classmate) contacted her and mentioned his son, Leith, needs to examine the details of the will he left behind. Although she doesn't tell him why, Clarke does encourage Leith to examine things more closely and he finds that if he hasn't married by the time his father has been dead five years, the family farm, which is critical to the economy of Sweetwater Peak, reverts to his uncle, who can't wait to sell it off to the highest developer.  

Clarke and Leith have had secret feelings for each other for years, which have expressed themselves in avoidance and snarky comments, Clarke agrees to help Leith secure the family farm.  This involves a lot of fake dating and lying to those they care most about, but this is a romance book so come on, we know what this really involves right?

Once again, I found myself devouring a Sage book.  I just can't seem to put them down once I start.  I loved Clarke and though romance is hot and heavy at the forefront, this book deals with strained family relationships, small-town economic impacts, and cute dogs (I'm looking at you Pearl and Billy).  Oh, and don't forget the ghosts.  The ending was more than your happily ever after and I am sad to see this duology end. I also want to note that the book deals heavily with the topic and symptoms of depression. The author even shares what she was experiencing around the time of writing it so if you do pick this one up, make sure to read the author's notes!

I can't recommend this duology enough and since the book releases next week, you can pick them up and binge them, unlike me, who had to suffer through months of waiting and pray to the arc God's for and advance copy (BTW, thank you arc Gods).

MY RAING: 5 PAWS

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear this one was so good for you.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete