Saturday, October 21, 2017

Stacking the Shelves (133)/Sunday Post - The No Apologies No Excuses Edition

Stacking the Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves or TBR piles, may it be physical or virtual.  This means you can include books you buy in a physical store, online, books you borrow from the library or friends, review books, gifts and of course, ebooks! The original meme was started over at Tynga's Reviews. And it now has a new co-host where individuals can link up as well - Marlene from Reading Reality.  Clicking on the book (or title) should take you to the Goodreads page.  I'm also now linking up with the Sunday Post which is hosted by Kimberly@Caffeinated Book Reviewer


So the title of this post pretty much says it all so let's get into the books.  First up, I had a book on reserve at the library and of course picked up other things while I was there.  I was the first person to snag Rules of Magic (and by the way, isn't it weird that Goodreads has this listed as Practical Magic #0 - isn't zero nothing?  Moving on, I grabbed The Truants because it was on my to-buy list since Tammy @ BooksBones&Buffy raved about it and I can't believe my library actually had a copy.  Petty Magic was a complete impulse grab as was Hyde.  I just basically perused the stacks super quick looking for the horror genre stickers on the spine.  On a side note, does anyone else see Danny Devito as The Penguin when they look at the Hyde cover?


And then Netgalley happened.  So I'm blaming Stormi for my cozy mystery haul (even though I haven't told her yet).  She has been talking about cozies and organizing hers so I've been paying closer attention.  A Grave Issue seems to be the first in a new series as is The Plot is Murder.  I couldn't resist that cute dog on Ditched 4 Murder and hopefully this will motivate me to read the first one. Nope, there isn't a cute-dog-on-the-cover theme going on.


And then there are a few darker ones.  I was thrilled to get a copy of Into the Drowning Deep.  I love Mira Grant (aka Seanan McGuire).  Mister Tender's Girl sound like an interesting thriller and I saw a feature on The Chalk Man somewhere and had to go request it.  


All in all, a pretty awesome week.  What did you add to your shelves this week???
And seriously, how many books do you guys add when hopping around these memes on the weekend?  Inquiring minds want to know!


39 comments:

  1. Great week - I particularly like the look of Mr Hyde - hope it works out well and I'll look forward to reading your thoughts for that one.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh you're so lucky about your library, I want to read The Truants! And also Hyde. And idk what Petty Magic is about but it looks interesting too lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I get for grabbing books randomly on a lunch break!

      Delete
  3. Hyde is definitely Danny DeVito! I also get confused by the new habit of giving a book in a series a #0. It does mean nothing so I don't get that! Weird! I LOVE the covers of your cozy mysteries...it makes me want to buy them all! I'll be interested to see what you think of The Chalk Man as that one interests me and I've been considering it. I didn't grab much this week but I did add a few on to the wishlist thanks mainly to Laura's horror posts over the month! There are a few authors I hadn't heard of that I now want to check out. Yes, I do add a few to wishlist each week due to other blogs doing the peer pressure thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura's posts are killing me as well so I feel your pain.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you got some great books this week. I haven't been to my library in a while. I've got some many books on my shelves and on my kindle I don't have time to read anymore. Wish I did though. :) Have a great week and enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too but for some reason, it doesn't stop me from going to the library.

      Delete
  5. Wow, so many cool books! I requested a physical book of Into the Drowning Deep, so I'm holding off for that. I hope you love The Rules of Magic as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's over 400 pages which I didn't realize. Hope it's 400 pages of wonderfulness.

      Delete
  6. Great haul! I am still thinking of getting This Plot is Murder even though I swore off getting any more first in series cozies...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Serious Danny DeVito vibes! I haven't read a lot of cozy mysteries, tbh. I definitely tend to go for the darker stuff when I read adult mysteries. I'm definitely looking forward to Into the Drowning Deep. Happy reading!
    Natflix&Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one seeing Danny Devito.

      Delete
  8. Looks like a good haul -- I'm so jealous you got Into the Drowning Deep! I hope it's as good as it looks.

    Here's my STS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, your new books look great! I hope you'll enjoy them all. Happy reading and have a wonderful week. 😁❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a really great haul. I hope you enjoy all of your books. Happy reading!

    My STS

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do see Danny! LOL That's an excellent haul of books. explains your tag line. LOL I also look for the horror sticker at the library too!

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be fun to just randomly browse for those stickers.

      Delete
  12. Your library puts horror genre stickers on their books? That's amazing. I would love that so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one branch does. The other I don't think so.

      Delete
  13. I hope you enjoy The Rules of Magic :) they used to title it #0.5! Yeah, it's a bit weird with the 0. Well, at least it's not minus 1, that would be funny :D
    Looks like a good haul! Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've seen some 0.5 ones but this 0 one boggles my mind.

      Delete
  14. Phew, look at you go! Sometimes you have nothing for the week, and sometimes, everything comes all at once. :D All of these are new to me! I hope you enjoy all of your new books!

    Have a wonderful week, Barb. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh, I like the sound of Petty Magic, Eve especially. Great haul this week and The Chalk Man! I am waiting on pins and needles for that one like crazzzzzy!!!! I am so jealous you have it in your hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to grab it when I saw it in the library - total impulse grab. I saw Chalk Man mentioned somewhere last week and I thought "Wonder if Netgalley has it." I went, they did and my request was approved the next day.

      Delete
  16. Some great looking books. Enjoy reading them.
    sherry @ fundinmental Sunday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh! I can't wait to see your thoughts on Into the Drowning Deep! I just got a book that I won in a giveaway, a beautiful copy of The Language of Thorns! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read the other books in the Grisha universe but I've seen pictures of The Language of Thorns and it does look lovely. Great win!

      Delete
  18. haha I also thought it was weird how The Rules of Magic was listed as Practical Magic #0! LOL That's another MUST

    ReplyDelete
  19. You picked up some great books this week. I do want to read The Chalk Man but am trying really hard to resist requesting it. I totally see the Penguin when I look at Hyde :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. A lot of new books for you, I hope you love them all :) I find new books from memes ALL the time!

    ReplyDelete