Monday, December 11, 2017

Now This is My Kind of Mermaid!

TITLE: Rolling in the Deep (Rolling in the Deep #0.5)
AUTHOR: Mira Grant (aka Seanan McGuire)
PUBLISHER: Subterranean Press
PUBLISHING DATE: April 6, 2015

FROM GOODREADS: When the Imagine Network commissioned a documentary on mermaids, to be filmed from the cruise ship Atargatis, they expected what they had always received before: an assortment of eyewitness reports that proved nothing, some footage that proved even less, and the kind of ratings that only came from peddling imaginary creatures to the masses. 

They didn't expect actual mermaids.  They certainly didn't expect those mermaids to have teeth.

This is the story of the Atargatis, lost at sea with all hands.  Some have called it a hoax; others have called it a maritime tragedy.  Whatever the truth may be, it will only be found below the bathypelagic zone in the Mariana Trench…and the depths are very good at keeping secrets.
 

MY THOUGHTS: I couldn't have asked for a better read and it was just what I needed to wrap up my Thanksgiving vacation. So Imagine Network (who in my head I couldn't stop thinking of SyFy) is filming a "documentary" proving the existence of mermaids near the Mariana Trench. They commission a ship, the Atargatis, to make the trip and have even hired a troupe of mermaids to make sure they complete what they set out to do. The problem is, they never planned for what they actually find and while it will definitely make for some great footage, it may never actually get released.

I have pretty much loved everything I've ever read by Seanan McGuire and had high expectation for this one. I am thrilled to say I was not disappointed. Although this book is actually a novella, there is plenty of action and McGuire does a great job of developing characters in a short amount of time. I even became attached to a character or two - damn you McGuire.

I read this because I already have a copy of Into the Drowning Deep waiting for me on my Kindle and I wanted to make sure I knew all of the backstory before I started it. After reading "Rolling in the Deep" I'm that much more excited to start the next in the series and see what fun McGuire has in store for her readers. I've never been a huge fan of mermaids but EVIL mermaids are something I can definitely support!

RATING: 5 PAWS

10 comments:

  1. Haven't heard of this one before, but it does sound really interesting! It's been a long time since I've read anything dealing with mermaids. Plus, I love when a novella is short yet well developed. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun! Usually, mermaids are nice and sweet! I bet it was a great read. Have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't read any books about mermaids yet, but this one sounds quirky and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha love the title! I felt the same way- finally some NASTY meramids! I thought it packed a good punch for a novella.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ate this series up. Si thrilled you loved this one and eager to see what you think of the next book, Barb!
    I love mermaid stories, especially the nasty ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed this. I have a feeling I might like this one more than Into the Drowning Deep, which I thought was too long and also took way too many pages to get off the ground. I'd planned on checking this out after reading ItDD anyway, so now this review just reaffirms my decision. Thanks for the review!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know how much you really liked this one so I am going to have to borrow it next year (sounds so weird saying that) as I have wanted to try this author. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need this book in my life. As soon as I can catch it on sale, it is mine. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good one to try when in the mermaid mode. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete