Thursday, December 28, 2017

Two Bloggers One Book - Fury of the Orcas


Both Stormi and I were lucky enough to have one of our newest favorite authors send us his newest title earlier this month.  So of course, we had to feature it on on "Two Bloggers One Book" feature. In fact, I think we've reviewed at least three of Shea's books on our feature in 2017 so let's go out with a bang.  Once you read my thoughts, make sure you hop over to Stormi's @ Books, Movies, Reviews Oh My!


TITLE: Fury of the Orcas
AUTHOR: Hunter Shea
PUBLISHER: Severed Press
PUBLISHING DATE: December 6, 2017

FROM GOODREADS: They call them the wolves of the sea. 

From marine parks to the deepest oceans, the world’s killer whale population has turned against man and beast alike. Orca show trainers are ripped to pieces before stunned audiences. Ships are capsized. Oil rigs are bashed without mercy. What has driven the apex predators stark raving mad?

Chet Clarke has dedicated his life to preserving the health and dignity of orcas in captivity. Along with orca trainer Rosario Benitez, he embarks on a whirlwind journey across the globe to witness unconscionable carnage and uncover the mystery for the sudden outbreak of mania. Is this the start of a catastrophic pandemic? Or do the clues lead to an enigmatic experiment in the wilds of Alaska and shadow operations in a Russian ghost town? Time is running out faster than the lives of those in the path of the orcas.
 


MY THOUGHTS:  Anyone who follows my blog knows that Shea is has quickly become a favorite of mine.  I love his horror but I think this is better categorized as a action-adventure/thriller.  Suddenly and without warning, orcas across the world have started turning on those who take care of them at marine facilities as well as in the open seas.  Basically lots of people AND orcas are dying and Chet, who has worked with them for years, and his assistant/lover, Rosario, travel all over the world while they try to figure out what is going on.  

This books is brutal.  When I was young, I wanted to be a marine biologist which is a pretty lofty goal for someone who has lived her entire life in a landlocked stated.  Sure, it could have been done, but I was persuade to turn my attentions elsewhere.  So needless to say, I have a soft spot for dolphins, killer whales and even sharks.  Thus, it was hard to see some of the orcas massacred in this book and I often found myself cheering them on as they killed various humans because I also do not believe they should be kept in captivity.  Once again, Shea isn't afraid to kill off characters in this latest book and there is quite a bit of action.  However, unlike some of his other books, there is also a lot of sex.  Now far be it from me to shun a book because of it because it doesn't bother me in the least, however, in this setting, it really wasn't needed.  For example, during the middle of an orca attack do we really need to know how beautiful Chet thinks Rosario is without her makeup.  

While my rating is not as strong as what I've given some of Shea's other books, he is still an author I will automatically read.  I can't wait to see what his imagination has in store for his readers in the future.  Many people will enjoy "Fury of the Orcas" and any Shea fan will be glad to add this to their shelves.  It just wasn't one of my favorites. 

RATING: 3 PAWS

4 comments:

  1. I hope that the author doesn't start dumping sex into the books-one of the things I liked about his other books was that it was about the monsters not dumb humans sex lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, I hate to see ANY animal in captivity (don't even get me started on zoos!) This sounds like fun, but I know what you mean about unnecessary sex scenes, they can seem ridiculous if not used in the right time and place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just over at Stormi's review and it's a relief to know you both feel the same as me. Not his best work but I'll still grab his books. In fact, I've already pre-ordered his Jurassic, Florida book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to be a marine biologist, too. I live on the coast, and I was still swayed away from it. :( It was probably for the best. I get seasick. Haha.

    ReplyDelete