Wednesday, September 1, 2021

TBR Jar of Horror #1 - Bite

 


So Stormi and I were kind of striking out with our Retro Horror feature.  It seems the books we picked were never as good as we hoped.  So we revamped the feature and are now doing a TBR jar where we're each putting horror titles we've always wanted to read - no matter of their publication date.  And now, every other month, we will draw a pick out and that's what we'll read and review.  So read on to see how this worked for me this month and the hope over to Stormi's to find out what she read.

And don't you love our new graphic?  It was created by Michelle over at Lima Bean Designs!


TITLE: Bite (Wastelanders #1)
AUTHOR: K.S. Merbeth
PUBLISHER: Orbit
PUBLISHING DATE: July 26, 2016
PAGES: 376
SOURCE: Own library

FROM GOODREADS: 

Kid is trying to survive in a world gone mad. Hungry, thirsty and alone in a desert wasteland, she's picked up on the side of the road by Wolf, Dolly, Tank and Pretty Boy - outlaws with big reputations and even bigger guns.
But as they journey across the wild together, Kid learns that her newfound crew may not be the heroes she was hoping for. And in a world that's lost its humanity, everyone has a bit of monster within them

  MY THOUGHTS:  Let's just say that I spent years thinking this was about vampires despite there clearly being a license plate on the vehicle which indicated cannibals.  However, I was glad to knock it off my shelves and give it a go.  And man, what a fun ride this one was!

The novel takes places in a post-apocalyptic world where everyone is struggling to survive. Think Mad Max, because honestly, that's probably the best comparison for this book.  Kid is 14 and has been struggling to make it on her own since her father died.  She ends up meeting a ragtag group which consists of Wolf, Dolly, Tank and Pretty Boy.  While she is more than a little afraid of them at first, she ends up running with them.  There's just one small issue - they are considered "sharks" meaning they cook and eat human flesh.  Wolf leads the group on some crazy raids and trades and gets them into some pretty sticky situations.  And someone new named Saint is trying to take over the Wastelands, but they must go through Wolf to do it.

Never in my life did I see myself cheering a group of cannibals on to succeed, but cheer I did.  This was the most likable group of characters I've read about in a long time.  I loved them all and I loved how little by little Kid began to fit in and began to find a place where she belonged.  This book had action, blood, gore, humor, friendship and a riveting plot.  There's really nothing to complain about here.  I really think more people need to pick up this little hidden gem and hang on tight.  I can't wait to get my hands on book #2!

RATING: 5 PAWS




6 comments:

  1. Glad this one ended up being so good! And I love your idea of a TBR Jar of Horror. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to read this too. I love seeing your five star review, and now I'm thinking I may try to squeeze it in next month😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful blog post. This is absolute magic from you! I have never seen a more wonderful post than this one. You've really made my day today with this. I hope you keep this up! Abandoned Vehicle Austin

    ReplyDelete