Sunday, August 6, 2023

Farm News - August 6, 2023

 

I can't believe that it is August already!  It seems like Summer is just flying by.  Oh well, I am a tad anxious to smell pumpkin spice in the air so I guess I'm not too upset.

So Mr. Barb's back flared back up this past week so he's back in physical therapy.  Luckily it wasn't as bad as it was in May and his therapist said some minor set-back was to be expected.  He has not had to take off work yet and has still been able to do some moderate activities, including walking Apollo, so we hope those are all positive signs.  

Apollo met a new doggy in the neighborhood named Maynard.  We are not quite sure which house he lives in yet, but he saw him twice this week while walking and seeing other dogs always perks him up.  He also got a special trip to the City Park Friday morning before work which he loved.  The park always has lots of squirrels and Apollo lives for squirrels.  

Movie wise, we broke down and bought Insidious: Red Door when it came out as an early release for home theater on Tuesday.  I was actually pretty disappointed with it and felt that the scariest parts of the movie were highlighted in the trailer.  

I am actually reading on three different books right now.  I'm usually a one-at-a-time reader but over the past year or so have branched out a bit more.  I still primarily focus on one more than the others though. With Love, From Cold World is an ARC that released this week, and I really liked the author's first book, so I started it Thursday night while watching the Hall of Fame Football game - YAY FOOTBALL SEASON!  I've been reading Night's Edge for about two weeks now as it's something I pick up when my Kindle is charging or when I want to read a physical book.  And finally, Finders Keepers is one of my 3 buddy reads with Stormi this month.


This book also saw a trip to one of my local libraries to pick up some holds that came in.  I've read one other book by Samantha Downing and thought it was just okay, but the premise of A Twisted Love Story sounded too good to pass up. I've seen some good reviews for Star Bringer and although it's not something I would normally pick up, when I saw my library had it, I grabbed it.  And finally, I'm still on the search for a 5-paw thriller so I grabbed Bad Parts to check out.


I also had an author each out to me about a horror short-story collection he was publishing, and he was kind enough to send me a copy which I received this week. Thanks Jack!  You can find more details here.


And finally I will leave with a puppy pic because who doesn't want to see a cute puppy?  Here is Apollo in all his glory. 




13 comments:

  1. Interesting that you like horror. I don't find many who choose that as a favorite genre. :-) Apollo does look cute. Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the expression in Apollo's eyes😁 You should bring him to our house, we are overrun with squirrels! I'm really curious to see what you think of Cold World, I keep seeing it pop up everywhere. Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is it already the second week of August! Three books, that is nothing...lol. You know me I am always reading multiple books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always want to see cute puppy pics! And I hope With Love From Cold World is good. I loved her previous book and am looking forward to reading this one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry that Mr. Barb hurt his back. I hope that his pain doesn't get any worse. I really liked With Love, from Cold World, Night's Edge, Finders Keepers, and Star Bringer! I hope that you have wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always happy to see Apollo. Lulu chases squirrels but she isn't serious about it. Our last girl Gina caught them and chewed on them. I am reading multiple books at once which I find to be a normal thing when buddy reading.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your husband feels better soon and that his back recovers. That sounds very painful, but good to hear it's not as bad as last time. I usually read at least 3 different books right now, but all on different devices/ moments, which helps. I hope you'll have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted to see Insidious Red Door. I saw an earlier one that I liked. Your current books look good. Enjoy them. How cute is Apollo! What a sweetie! Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Cold World book is on my TBR, haven't read the author yet though. I am with you on being ready for fall! Hope your husband's back gets to feeling better. Back issues run in my family, so I know how much of a pain, no pun intended, that can be. I do agree that the new Insidious had a lot of things that weren't as good as I'd hoped either. And Apollo is adorable! Love seeing pictures! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pumpkin spice! Yes I'm looking forward to that too. I didn't get a single pumpkin spice latte at all last fall so I'll have to make up for that this year ha.

    Cute pic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Apollo is adorable! I've been wanting to read a Samantha Downing book, but haven't had a chance yet. I hope you enjoy all your current reads!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Summer has gone fast this year. I can't believe my daughter is starting school this week. I hope your husband's back is healing well and am glad it wasn't a complete setback for him. Apollo is so cute! Thank you for sharing his beautiful face with us. I am curious about A Twisted Love Story and hope you enjoy it. I haven't read anything by Downing before, but one of these days I will. Have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband is a football fan but I am not. But somehow I know all about what's going on with the Dolphins as pre-season comes closer and closer!

    I liked Finders Keepers and the whole Mr. Mercedes trilogy.

    Apollo is a cutie! I always like boxers. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete