Tuesday, March 7, 2017

TTT - Favorite Sidekicks

This top 10 weekly meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and can be found HERE.  Each week they focus on lists which cover various topics related to books and reading. This meme is on hiatus this week so I'm doing my own topic - favorite sidekicks.  Now before you think this is just another excuse to showcase cute pups (and it is), in my defense not all my favorites are dogs.







Jenks from The Hollows series.  I love this little pixie so much and the book where he is transformed into a full size man is perfection!

Another character I love which appears later in the series is Bis, the gargoyle protector.  He's so darn funny and gargoyles are some of my favorite supernatural creatures.

OK, so he's technically not a sidekick, more a side character, but I love Quinn, the tiger shifter, from The Sookie Stackhouse books.  I always thought he should have been a bigger player, but it has been nice seeing him in her Midnight, Texas series.

Come on, doesn't everyone love Scooby Doo?  I recently bought Scooby Apocalypse Vol. 1 and can't wait to see what Scoob is up to now.

Beezle is another gargoyle sidekick in Henry's Black Wings series.  I love him to death and he is best described as a "cranky, popcorn-loving gargoyle."  

Cualli the modified Doberman (he has a glowing tattoo) of the main vampire Atl.  I adored this dog and all his badness.

ALL of the weather ponies from Bishop's The Others series.  I mean seriously, I desperately need a weather pony.  Ponies who can control the weather??? Sign me up!

Jake from the Ruddy McCann series.  Because he's an adorable lazy Basset who steals the scenes whenever he is in them.

Who wouldn't love Smooshi?  

And finally, the ultimate sidekick - SNOOPY!!!!  Technically I find Charlie Brown annoying but watch the shows and read the comics for this Snoop Dog.

So see, not ALL of them were dogs.  Bet some of you are surprised.  I find that urban fantasy novels have some of the best sidekicks and the ones on the supernatural side can provide a lot of fun.

23 comments:

  1. I love Beezle...he's just adorable! I always loved Snoopy as well. Jenks was one of my favourite things in The Hollows but I stopped reading because that whole Ivy trying to bite Rachel stuff bored me. I do plan to read maybe three others you mentioned here-Pit Perfect, Repo Madness and Certain Dark Things if I ever get a cheap copy! Great list Barb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole Ivy/Rachel thing did get a tad old. I think you'd really enjoy Certain Dark Things. No romance and badass vamps!

      Delete
  2. YES, I love Scooby Doo. :-)
    sherry @ fundinmental My TT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge fan of side kicks, although I would have to spend some time making a list. I'm happy to see lots of dogs on your list! The only book I've read is Certain Dark Things but what a great example of an awesome side kick:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's probably the reason I came up with the idea. I love that book so much!

      Delete
  4. Yay for Jenks, Bis, Scooby and Snoopy!! I'm a fan of them all. The others you mentioned I haven't had the pleasure of meeting although Henry's and Bishop's books are on my tbr. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like them. The Bishop series is one of my faves.

      Delete
  5. I am actually surprised as I thought they were going to be mostly dogs...hehehe. I don't know many of your fav. sidekicks. I only knew two of the dogs...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to mix it up to keep it fresh :) I do adore gargoyles though.

      Delete
  6. OMG I AM SUPER FAN OF SCOOBY-DOO AND SNOOPY! My favs. But I can't leave out an adorable lazy Basset. that's our favorite breed at home after the boxers. We'll love to have one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one we had growing up was so big, lazy and awesome. There is a girl basset down the street named Susie out last boxer, Cooper, was in love with. They even exchanged Valentine and Christmas gifts.

      Delete
  7. Snoopy is the best but I'm biased. :) And ooh gargoyles- I'd like to read about those. Scooby too- I've seen a review for Scooby Apocalypse but haven't picked it up yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Jenks! I haven't read far enough in the series to meet Bis - looks like I have some work to do. I love Quinn. How did I not know he was in the Midnight, Texas series?! I must read that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Midnight Texas series and the TV show starts this fall (I think).

      Delete
  9. I think I need to give the Midnight, Texas series another chance - I can't remember ANYTHING about tiger shifters, and that's the kind of thing I'd really enjoy to read!
    This is a brilliant idea for a list: if TTT ever goes on another hiatus, I'm using this one :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a big part of the second book I believe - if I'm remembering correctly.

      Delete
  10. Scooby and Snoopy! oh man, i didn't expect to see them in this list, but great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just realized you would love the dog in TJ Klune's Withered + Sere.

    I haven't read any of these books, but these sound like awesome sidekicks. Well, I've seen Scooby Doo and Charlie Brown at least lol. I've only ever read about gargoyles as background creatures, but the gargoyles in Jex Lane's Beautiful Monster series are scary and badass and the MC has one as kind of a pet/sidekick, and he takes on the form of a dog sometimes. The popcorn loving gargoyle sounds interesting though lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE Scooby Doo!! Not as big of a fan on Quinn, but it's been so long since I've read those books that I can't remember why.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Snoopy's awesome! And of course, he has his own sidekick - Woodstock. Wonder how many sidekicks have sidekicks?? :)

    ReplyDelete