Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Just Stick With the Graphic Novel

TITLE: Giant Days
AUTHOR: Non Pratt
PUBLISHER: Harry N. Abrahms
PUBLISHING DATE: August 21, 2018

FROM GOODREADS:  Based on the hit graphic-novel series from BOOM! Studios, the publisher behind Lumberjanes, Giant Days follows the hilarious and heartfelt misadventures of three university first-years: Daisy, the innocent home-schooled girl; Susan, the sardonic wit; and Esther, the vivacious drama queen. While the girls seem very different, they become fast friends during their first week of university. And it's a good thing they do, because in the giant adventure that is college, a friend who has your back is key--something Daisy discovers when she gets a little too involved in her extracurricular club, the Yogic Brethren of Zoise. When she starts acting strange and life around campus gets even stranger (missing students, secret handshakes, monogrammed robes everywhere . . .), Esther and Susan decide it's up to them to investigate the weirdness and save their friend.

MY THOUGHTS:  I was really excited about this novel when I first learned of it because I'm a a huge fan of the graphic novel.  So when I saw it available on Hoopla, I thought it was the perfect excuse to give it a go.  Let's just say I should have stuck with the graphic novel.

That's not to say there weren't things I didn't enjoy.  I love Ester, the Goth chick, and think she is a blast.  However, I found it sad that someone who has so much going for her spent so much of the novel trying to be best buds with the campus' other Goth chick when she was clearly so undeserving of such friendship.  Susan is very sarcastic which I also found enjoyable but Daisy sort of got on my nerves.  

I missed the artwork and I missed the fun.  "Giant Days" just didn't seem to flow very well.  Instead of the chapters uniting to form a cohesive take, I felt like each one with its own plotless story.  In retrospect, it was kind of like comic book issues, but in written form and while that type of flow may work in comic book form, it did not here.


I wish I had liked Giant Days but I will still be following the graphic novel so there is that.  Unless you're just curious, I really wouldn't recommend it.

RATING: 2 PAWS

12 comments:

  1. Sorry it didn't work for you. But, as you mentioned, there's still the graphic novels to enjoy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some things should stay in graphic novel form...lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry this one didn't work for you as well as you had hoped it would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, you win some and lose some. At least it wasn't that long.

      Delete
  4. That's a pity -- the blurb sounded like it had so much potential

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I think a younger audience might appreciate it more than me.

      Delete
  5. What a shame it didn't work as well as the graphic novel for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know but at least I didn't waste any money on it.

      Delete
  6. Ah bummer! I didn't even know this was a thing! Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably skip it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the heads up - shame it didn't work out but I guess it happens.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete