Monday, September 17, 2018

Well Now That Was Interesting....

TITLE: The Cabin at the End of the World
AUTHOR:  Paul Tremblay
PUBLISHER: William Morrow
PUBLISHING DATE: June 26, 2018

FROM GOODREADS: The Bram Stoker Award-winning author of A Head Full of Ghosts adds an inventive twist to the home invasion horror story in a heart-palpitating novel of psychological suspense that recalls Stephen King’s Misery, Ruth Ware’s In a Dark, Dark Wood, and Jack Ketchum’s cult hit The Girl Next Door.

Seven-year-old Wen and her parents, Eric and Andrew, are vacationing at a remote cabin on a quiet New Hampshire lake. Their closest neighbors are more than two miles in either direction along a rutted dirt road.

One afternoon, as Wen catches grasshoppers in the front yard, a stranger unexpectedly appears in the driveway. Leonard is the largest man Wen has ever seen but he is young, friendly, and he wins her over almost instantly. Leonard and Wen talk and play until Leonard abruptly apologizes and tells Wen, "None of what’s going to happen is your fault". Three more strangers then arrive at the cabin carrying unidentifiable, menacing objects. As Wen sprints inside to warn her parents, Leonard calls out: "Your dads won’t want to let us in, Wen. But they have to. We need your help to save the world."

Thus begins an unbearably tense, gripping tale of paranoia, sacrifice, apocalypse, and survival that escalates to a shattering conclusion, one in which the fate of a loving family and quite possibly all of humanity are entwined. The Cabin at the End of the World is a masterpiece of terror and suspense from the fantastically fertile imagination of Paul Tremblay.

MY THOUGHTS: "The Cabin at the End of the World" is my first read by this author and while I enjoyed it, I guess my expectations were a tad bit higher than what I received.  Wen and her fathers are vacationing in New Hampshire when 4 individuals show up saying that only she and her family can save the world from destruction.  The task is on a strict timetable and lets just say these 4 have a unique way of trying to convince the family to accept what they must do.

"The Cabin at the End of the World" takes place in just a few days and although there's quite a bit of action, it's not exactly action-packed.  Instead Tremblay relies on tension building an atmosphere.  It does help that Wen and her fathers are likable characters, but what we learn about them is primarily done through flashbacks.

I will also caution that this is not a book for people who are turned off by ambiguous endings.  The ending of this book is definitely not wrapped up in a nice, neat package.  Also, I was also sometimes bogged down by the paragraphs that lasted for 2 entire pages.  

In the end, I am glad I picked up this book.  I have been curious since I first learned about it and needed to see for myself what it was all about.  However, I'm not really sure this is a horror novel - it's more a novel about horrific people and situations - and that's okay.  I own "A Head Full of Ghosts" and feel like it's a book I'll like a lot more but if you like doomsday and dystopian tales, "The Cabin at the End of the World" might just work for you.

RATING: 3 PAWS

22 comments:

  1. I am pretty intrigued by this book. I do appreciate the information concerning the ending and the not so much a horror story. It helps going into it knowing what to expect or not expect! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am curious about your thoughts. I can see you rooting for some of these individuals to die :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh! I hate ambiguous endings! lol . Glad you enjoyed this one. I love the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover and title is great. The ending, not so much.

      Delete
  3. Hmm. I can't decide if I want to read this one or not. Parts of it intrigue me, but I do find page-long paragraphs and ambiguous endings annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say if you can grab it from the library and borrow it, maybe give it a try. Some people are raving about it. However, if my review concerns you, maybe you could read another by him first. I think I should have.

      Delete
  4. I've enjoyed several books by this author. I'll keep your thoughts in mine when I go into this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you didn't love this one! I'm still really intrigued by it and I want to know what's going on! I'm on a wait list at the library for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I ultimately went with a 3 star rating too, though now that I've had time to stew things over, the more I think about this book the more angry I get. The ending was the biggie, I really hated it. Something tells me you'd probably enjoy A Head Full of Ghosts a lot more too.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I mean come on, was there really something going on or not. And was Redmond who they thought? I find myself wondering if the author even has the answers to these questions.

      Delete
  7. I didn't like the first Tremblay book I read (Disappearance at Devil's Rock) but A Headful of Ghosts is supposed to be really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ... Paragraphs that lasted for 2 pages?! Jeeza, that would drive me nuts. I don't know if I want to read this -- thus far, I like the author's plotlines, but I always seem to find something else to read instead of his books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad that you read this so I don't have too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have A Head Full of Ghosts but have read it yet. (shocking, I know) Sorry this one wasn't better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I'll steer clear of this one.
    Thanks
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete