Thursday, October 29, 2020

Retro Horror Vol. 5

 


I can't believe we are on Round 5 of the Retro Horror project.  I hope you've been enjoying it because I've enjoyed reading some lesser known works.  This month I unearthed a hidden gem so read on for my review and then hop over to Stormi's at Books, Movies, Reviews! Oh My! to see her choice this month!


TITLE: Best Friend
AUTHOR: Pat FEeley
PUBLISHER: Fawcett Books
PUBLISHING DATE: 1977

MY THOUGHTS:  Best Friend is a novel of slowly building terror. It is based on the fact that some people have an unusual affinity for animals and that some animals, especially well-loved ones, seem to respond with uncanny sensitivity. They are easily trained, seemingly intelligent enough to know what's wanted of them, attuned not only to the commands but also to the feelings of their owners. 

Such a pair are Isabelle Buckingham and her dog beau. But between them there is something more. And almost before Isabelle herself knows it, her devoted Beau is aware that she is sick to death of her bullying, critical and philandering husband. 

Best Friend is a tale of a suburban dream turning into a nightmare, on the order of Burnt Offerings - but without resort to the occult or science fiction. It is completely plausible. And all the scarier for it.    


MY THOUGHTS: 
So this is best described as a slow-burning horror novel.  However, I would argue that at its heart, it's basically a love story.  A love between a woman and her dog.  

When the book opens, Isabelle is faced with losing her beloved pet, Patch.  Both of Izzy's children have moved out and started lives of her own and her husband Peter, works all the time and has several extra curricular activities, so she feels that Patch is her whole life and purpose.  Even though she is distraught and needs to grieve, her husband and their family friend, veterinarian Roger, encourage Izzy to go with Rog the next day to look at a new liter of pups.  Both want her to fill her void because they know how lonely she will be but she has no plans on doing so.  That's until a reserved ball of fluff chooses her.  Izzy immediately falls in love with Beau and their bond only grows their initial contact.

Izzy soon brings Beau home and since he comes from a championship bloodline, she decides to start training for shows.  She enlists the help of an elderly man she knows from the beach and a friendship grows between them.  Beau is bright and intelligent but there are two big factors brewing.  Beau is a large breed dog and is getting bigger every day and he definitely doesn't like Peter.

I adored this book.  At under 200 pages, it packs a punch.  While not really action-packed, I still couldn't put it down.  As many know, I love all my dogs but I would be lying if I glazed over the special bond I have with Cassius.  And honestly, I saw the same bond between Izzy and Beau (although I must add that Cass does love Mr. Barb - but I know he loves me more).  Peter is a jerk pretty much throughout the whole book, at one time demanding Izzy get rid of her beloved dog and it was refreshing to see Izzy's character development as the book progressed.

I won't give anything else away but just know that this is a book that I will cherish for years to come.  And even more special is the fact that while I tracked it down and ordered it from Thrift Books, the book itself is an old library book from my hometown library - talk about coincidence. I do highly recommend this book and while my rating might be a tad high, know that it reflects the emotional bond I felt with this book.  I hope I can convince even a few more people to pick up this little-known horror novel.  

RATING: 5 PAWS



16 comments:

  1. Yep, I can totally see you loving this book, sounds so much like your kind of read! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sooooooo me. I couldn't give it enough paws!

      Delete
  2. Hi there Barb! This does sound really good. I am having a look at it right now on Goodreads.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can find a copy. More people need to read it!

      Delete
  3. You made me want to find a copy of this book and read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can snag one! I want more people to love this as much as I did!

      Delete
  4. Oh, man. This book sounds just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this but now I'm determined to track down a copy for myself! I need all the good dog companion books😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea and because of the horror feel, it's a perfect read for us! I just read a short story involving a dog I need to review which threw me for a loop and which will be lucky to get 1 star!

      Delete
  6. !! Is it bad that I want Beau to bite Peter alot? Like alot? ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope and he actually does bite him the first time he meets him!

      Delete
  7. Certainly right up your street for sure!

    ReplyDelete