Sunday, April 21, 2024

Farm News - April 21, 2024


It's been a while since I've done a "news" update so thought I better pop in today before the day was over.  Two weeks ago on a Saturday morning, we got a phone call that my mother-in-law had been discovered dead in her apartment.  She was 85 and had some health issues which were maintained through medicine but no major illness, so this was kind of a shock for all involved.  I took off several days to be with my husband and help with all the arrangements.  She wanted to be cremated so we took care of that and then yesterday, we had a Memorial gathering for family and friends at a local church.  It seems she died peacefully in her bed at home and when it all comes down to it, I think that's not a bad way to go.

The pups are doing fine.  Zeke is growing and is still in the skinny awkward phase.  Boxers really don't "beef" up until they turn one and he is only eight months old, so he has a way to go.  He still insists on putting anything he can into his mouth, and we have to keep on him all the time.  I keep reminding myself he is just a puppy.  Apollo loves him though even if he does try his patience at times and I can't imagine the house without them both.

I have been managing to get quite a bit of reading done this month, but I can't believe how fast it is flying.  I have training the last few days of the month and the first three of May.  I will be coming home each night but it's still about an 80-minute drive each way so it will be a long week.  It's so I can become a certified training.  I won't be changing jobs but doing so makes me eligible for a 5% raise at the end of the year.  I am currently reading One of Us Knows by Alyssa Cole. It was just released this week so I'm not sure how it came in on Libby so fast.  Her last thriller was just okay for me and I'm not sure about this one.  I'm only 80 or so pages in and to be honest, I want to know what happens but apparently, I don't want to read it because it's been slow going.

I managed to get some review books in from Netgalley and want to thank them and the publishers for sending them my way.


Cinderwitch: Cherie Priest 

How to Help a Hungry Werewolf: Charlotte Stein

Through the Midnight Door: Katrina Monroe

How to Kill a Guy in Ten Ways: Eve Kellman

Long Live Evil: Sarah Rees Brennan

Worst in Show:  Anna E. Collins


So, I hope everyone is having a great week. Look for a few reviews and my usual Feed Your TBR post on Wednesday.  Thanks for visiting Booker T's Farm!



7 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your loss my own mother who was so stubborn lived by herself and was found dead in her hallway from a heart attack she was also 85 this was few years ago. I am thankful someone was coming by to take her shopping that day or who knows how long it would of been she lived in a very small town. Puppies are fun but a handful. Hope that your able to get back to reading and that you have a good week. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your mother-in-law! Though a peaceful death at home is not a bad way to go. It's just hard on all those that are left behind. Wishing you all the best this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My condolences on your family’s loss.
    I really enjoyed How To Kill a Guy in Ten Ways.

    Wishing you a lovely week

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about your MIL. I know exactly what you mean about wanting / not wanting to read something. I occasionally read very slowly when I'm uncertain about a book.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your mother in law. And yep, this month is going fast. I'm not reading fast enough to get all my April review books in! Oh well. Glad the boys are doing well. I have the Katrina Monroe book too, I hope it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry to hear that! All the best t you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry for your loss. It is nice to think that she at least went peacefully. Love the new button with both dogs in it! And my two are older but still want to eat everything they find on the ground outside, lol. Wow, an 80 minute drive? That's crazy! Are you listening to audiobooks? That would be the only thing that would probably save me.

    ReplyDelete