Thursday, July 12, 2018

Swim Away Amelia - FAST! (The Mermaid Review)

TITLE: The Mermaid
AUTHOR: Christina Henry
PUBLISHER: Berkley
PUBLISHING DATE: June 19, 2018

FROM GOODREADS: Once there was a mermaid who longed to know of more than her ocean home and her people. One day a fisherman trapped her in his net but couldn't bear to keep her. But his eyes were lonely and caught her more surely than the net, and so she evoked a magic that allowed her to walk upon the shore. The mermaid, Amelia, became his wife, and they lived on a cliff above the ocean for ever so many years, until one day the fisherman rowed out to sea and did not return.

P. T. Barnum was looking for marvelous attractions for his American Museum, and he'd heard a rumor of a mermaid who lived on a cliff by the sea. He wanted to make his fortune, and an attraction like Amelia was just the ticket.

Amelia agreed to play the mermaid for Barnum, and she believes she can leave any time she likes. But Barnum has never given up a money-making scheme in his life, and he's determined to hold on to his mermaid.


MY THOUGHTS:  So last year, "Lost Boy" was one of my favorite reads.  So when I saw this one was coming out, I immediately thought it would be another great dark tale from Henry.  Then I started hearing it wasn't dark at all... and I became worried.  However, I recently read a few reviews from some of my favorite bloggers and they seemed to really enjoy this one and hey, at least I knew going into it not to expect dark and gruesome (although I still wanted dark and gruesome).

So imagine my surprise at how much I really enjoyed "The Mermaid."  I'm glad I let my expectation go and enjoyed the tale for what it was meant to be - a historical fairy tale.  "The Mermaid" is the story of Amelia - a mermaid who years ago was caught in a fisherman's net and then let go, just to return to him and share his life..until he died (and no real spoiler - this happens pretty early).  So after living alone for years and mourning Jack, she gets the opportunity to move to New York and work for P.T. Barnum.

There were several things I liked about this book.  Amelia was a great character.  Yes, she was a mermaid and she struggles throughout the book with the dilemma of the whole human/creature of the sea argument.  But she is smart and kind, and yes, vicious when need be.  In addition I liked many of the characters Amelia meets including Levi, Barnum's attorney as well as  Barnum's wife and children.  However, Barnum was highly despicable and I certainly did not agree with some of his methods and his madness.  The story is good and definitely kept me captivated and honestly, at times, hard to put down.

The book is divided into three parts and I wish there had been more about Amelia and Jack.  They share such a beautiful love and I wanted it fleshed out a little more (even if I'm not a huge fan of romance in books).  Also, for those of you who have read the book - I NEED closure for the orangutan!  In fact, I docked at least half a paw because that poor orangutan is out there hanging in limbo!!!!!


Overall, I'm pretty much sure Hnry is now an auto read author. There is something lyrical about her tales, whether dark or whimsical, and I'm very anxious to read more.  Could there be a companion novel out there called "The Orangutan?"  I doubt it.

RATING: 4 PAWS

17 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I did not expect you to say she was vicious -- it kind of makes me want to read about her more now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicious in a speak-your-mind, take no prisoners sort of way. Although I wished she had used her mermaid teeth on a few people.

      Delete
  2. Amelia sounds like a great character! I have this one on my TBR, now I'm even more intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it so much more than I thought I would.

      Delete
  3. I know, the poor orangatan, that was one part of the story I hated. And I feel the same way about Jack, I wanted more of him and Amelia together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...it seemed like such a special love story. I could have definitely used more (and coming from someone who doesn't read a lot of romance, that is saying a lot!)

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I want to read it so bad. And just found out that this and Lost Boy are on Scribd.
    Now I'm happy.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. I loved Lost Boy more but they are both worth the read.

      Delete
  5. Hi Barb! First let me say THANK YOUUUUU for visiting me while I was MIA! Second... I missed visiting your blog! Third... Hope to catch up with your posts asap! I have this ARC so I didn't want to read the entire review yet. Happy to see the work of this writer is lyrical and whimsical. Gotta love that! Looking forward to getting to this book now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it. Just realize it really isn't that dark - which is what I expected when I requested it.

      Delete
  6. You make me want to read it just to read about the Orangutan and see why he is out in limbo. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to write a conclusion for him myself...just so I feel better!

      Delete
  7. Aw yay!! I'm so glad this was a good read for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mermaids - I just can't but help wanting to read it.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad you liked this one, Barb! I also enjoyed it but kept waiting for something bad to happen. I do love her writing and I agree about that orangutan. He needs his own book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm planning to read this one over the summer so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it even though it wasn't quite what you were expecting going in.

    ReplyDelete