Tuesday, July 17, 2018

TTT - My Favorite Novellas/Short Stories

The top 10 weekly meme used to be hosted by The Broke and the Bookish they  handed over the reins to ThatArtsyReaderGirl who can be found HERE.  Each week she will focus on lists which cover various topics related to books and reading. 

So this week's topic is favorite novellas/short stories.  I'm going to be honest, I looked up "novella" before starting because I don't want to mistakenly classify something as one if it's not cause I don't want to offend.  That being said, I doubt you guys really care because come on, you come here to see the books!  Technically though it's  "a short novel or long short story."  Well, if you read a lot of King, a lot of books could be considered "short" and isn't "long short story" kind of contradictory.  Oh well, enough rambling.  


I could say the entire "Sin du Jour" series but on the whole, one of my faves of the seven is "Lustlocked."


Followed closely by "Taste of Wrath" because come on, Prince.  If and if you don't understand that comment, go read the series and come back and see me.


I also adored McGuire's "Wayward Children" series but this one is clearly my favorite of the three, and perhaps the darkest one yet.


Speaking of McGuire, or in this case Mira Grant, I loved "Rolling in the Deep."  I just need to make time for the full-length sequel.


It had King's name attached so I knew I had to read it.  I really enjoyed some of the tales in this one.


Technically not a short story OR a novella, but it was short, it's about an adorable dog, and my list, my prerogative.


It's Peanuts - do I need to say more?


"Sour Candy" is a totally creepy, totally awesome novella.


"The Language of Dying" is a hauntingly beautiful novella.


As if you haven't guessed, I love Seanan McGuire and will give anything she writes a chance.

BONUS:


We can't forget one of my favorite horror writers.  I think this has to be one of my faves!

So have you read any of these????  What made your list????

42 comments:

  1. Sour Candy is on my ereader but I haven't read it yet. Next month I'm trying new authors so I might try something by Burke. I picked the same Hunter Shea one for my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty good. I think you might like it!

      Delete
  2. I so need to try more of Seanan McGuire's books! Awesome list, Barb, and a couple I had no idea about!~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I go by whatever felt like one or the author said was a novella or anything on goodreads with a .something lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to say I've read five of these! Although I never finished the Sin du Jour series, which I feel really bad about😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! 5 is pretty good. Most of them were McGuire/Grant right?

      Delete
  5. I was looking forward to seeing this TTT on your blog Barb because you always read the best Novellas! I'll check out "Sour Candy" for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of most of these but I do like the look of the Snoopy book. I will have to try and get my hands on a copy for Christmas this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a whole collection of those...I'm hoping to pick up the Woodstock one this year.

      Delete
  7. I need to read Sour Candy & the Hunter Shea books soon. I keep saying that and never doing it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's interesting that so many of the lists for this week's topic feature at least one (but often multiple) works by Seanan McGuire. I wonder if it's because she's such a prolific writer of short works, because her stuff is so poignant, or both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I'm thinking it's probably a combo of both. She has tons but most are so good!

      Delete
  9. So many cool covers and great sounding books. Thanks so much for sharing them.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm planning on trying out Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire real soon. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice bunch of books. And we enjoy a lot of the same authors. You've got to read Into The Drowning Deep. Myra takes it to the next level. I read it straight through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hearing that makes me that much more excited. We do read a lot of the same things.

      Delete
  12. I haven't read any of these! I do want to read the Seanan McGuire one and the Mira Grant novella is on my tbr. Hunter Shea is also an author that I would like to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great for when you want something short to break up some heavier reads.

      Delete
  13. I'm not always clear what constitutes a novella either, to be honest. Lustlocked looks funny, Rolling in the Deep was a trip, and yay Peanuts! All the Peanuts!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has tons of Bowie references. A must for any fan.

      Delete
  14. You will, as usual, not be surprised that these are all new to me. happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, Matt Wallace's series is great, and this post reminds me that I still need to get caught up! I also featured The Language of Dying in my top ten novellas list last year, really glad to see it on here.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I'm so sad that it's over :( The Language of Dying was beautiful. It just so happens I was reading it when my father-in-law died but it kind of seemed fitting.

      Delete
  16. GREAT list!! I added a few of these to my TBR!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read Every Heart a Doorway and I didn't realize all the books were going to be novella length. I still have to read the other other two. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep and the 4th one comes out in January.

      Delete
  18. I don't even know if I've read 10 novellas to do this one, good on you! I love that the Peanuts made the list! I just read a book of prequel novellas for the Throne of Glass series and it was pretty devastating and reminded me why I tend to stay away from prequels and just make due with a quick back story blurb about all the sad bad things that hardened and shaped the character lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to read a Seanan McGuire book someday. They seem to be on every TTT list this week.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's plenty to chose from that's for sure.

      Delete
  20. I have to catch up with the Matt Wallace books - I read the first one and enjoyed it so this can be a friendly reminder.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that series sooooo much and am sorry it's over.

      Delete
  21. Interesting post, Barb! I have never given much thought to listing novellas on my blog. As for short stories, what I do read from time to time is anthologies. So I never review short stories singly.

    From your list, I'm gravitating toward the Sin du Jour series. I LOVE humor in books! "Downward Dog" DOES look ADORABLE, and "The Peanuts Guide to Christmas", OH, YEAH!!!

    And that's it, for me! LOL.

    Thanks for sharing! HUGS TO YOU AND THE BOYS, AND WOOF, WOOF TO THEM!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete