Friday, November 3, 2023

BOO!

 

TITLE: Sheets (Sheets #1)
AUTHOR: Brenna Thummler
PUBLISHER: Oni Press
PUBLISHING DATE: August 28, 2018
PAGES: 242   
SOURCE: Hoopla


FROM GOODREADS: Marjorie Glatt feels like a ghost. A practical thirteen-year-old in charge of the family laundry business, her daily routine features unforgiving customers, unbearable P.E. classes, and the fastidious Mr. Saubertuck who is committed to destroying everything she’s worked for.
Wendell is a ghost. A boy who lost his life much too young, his daily routine features ineffective death therapy, a sheet-dependent identity, and a dangerous need to seek purpose in the forbidden human world. 
When their worlds collide, Marjorie is confronted by unexplainable disasters as Wendell transforms Glatt’s Laundry into his midnight playground, appearing as a mere sheet during the day. While Wendell attempts to create a new afterlife for himself, he unknowingly sabotages the life that Marjorie is struggling to maintain.

MY THOUGHTS: I've always seen everyone rave about this graphic novel so when I needed something extra for one of my October challenges, and saw this on Hoopla, I felt the timing was right to pick it up.  I'm glad I finally read it but also feel like it missed its mark with me.

Marjorie basically runs her family's laundromat following her mother's death and her father's subsequent depression. She struggles to get through the day which isn't helped by the fact there is a creepy businessman trying to scam her out of the property so he can open a spa.  Wendell is a ghost trying to navigate the afterlife.  His path crossed with Marjorie's briefly before his sudden death and now, it looks like they are about to meet up again.  But will Marjorie believe in ghosts before she loses everything she hold dear?

There was something about the artwork that didn't click for me.  I loved Wendell's parts, and the ghosts are super cute, but Marjorie's parts were a bit of a slug to get through. The last third of the book did pull things out for me but in the end, I still found the whole thing kind of meh.  I may someday venture into the second installment, which I think releases sometime within the past year, but I'm definitely not in a hurry.

MY RATING: 3 PAWS






2 comments:

  1. I'm not much of a graphic novel reader. I keep trying, but I just don't seem to click with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this around and always thought the cover looked cute. But too bad it missed the mark with you.

    ReplyDelete