Friday, July 21, 2017

Weekly Reads (07/21/17)


So it's been an extremely hot week here at The Farm.  Seriously hot! Like bring on Fall hot.  At least it was cooler Saturday before Hades set in and it was a nice evening to have a cookout and a surprise cake for Grandpa.  Some extended family members showed up at his house, Mr. Barb grilled, everyone had a really nice time and Grandpa had a lot of fun.

We haven't really found many movies to watch so luckily some of our summer series have started back up.  Both Game of Thrones and The Strain started last Sunday and I am thrilled to be watching both of them again.  If you haven't checked out The Strain, I definitely recommend it and heck, everyone's heard about Game of Thrones.

This weekend I'm planning on trying to stay cool and keep the pups comfortable.  Mr. Barb has been able to walk the the past two morning before going to work so it's not been too bad on them but there have been a couple of run-ins with a loose pitbull roaming the neighborhood.  Don't get me wrong - I'm not anti pitbull and would actually love to have one some day.  I think it's all about the owner's and how they are raised.  However, this one had broke his leash and was running around the hood and literally charged at my dogs before Mr. Barb ushered them all back in the door.  I won't tolerate any animal risking the safety of mine - pitbull or chihuahua.  The Humane Society wasn't really concerned since no one was bitten (sad, but true) and luckily before I raised too much hell someone came driving through the neighborhood looking for it.  I'm keeping my eye out though.

Here's what up next on the reading stack.  Hopefully I can make some good progress.  I really went overboard with library books this week (which you'll see in my haul tomorrow) so I need to knock some of these out of the way.  Looks like I will be having a very supernatural reading week!


So what are your plans this week?  Been doing anything fun?  Hope all our readers are staying cool and safe!

20 comments:

  1. The authorities aren't interested until a dog mauls a child and they should be trying to protect the public by preventing attacks from happening, not looking the other way! It's a bit too late when it kills somebody!!! I'm just glad your furry boys and Mr Barb weren't injured. The weather here is so unpredictable-one hot day, the next rain and wind, then a tropical day to make you melt. It can't seem to make up it's mind!

    My dad and I have spent a few afternoons this week watching season three of Game of Thrones and hope to finish that today. I can't wait to see my dad's reaction to the Red Wedding! I'm glad he's finally getting caught up with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had the worst rain storm Saturday night in years. We had over a foot of water in the street in front of our house and we live in town. The drainage around her sucks!

      Delete
  2. It really has been hot here! Yesterday was really bad. I love summer but sometimes the heat is too much.

    Thirteenth Gate has such a great cover, I love it! I hope you enjoy this book when you get the chance to read it!

    Have a great weekend, Barb. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat is horrible here as well. They say this week should be a tad cooler. The first book in the series was awesome and I definitely recommend it.

      Delete
  3. Akata Witch's character is beautiful isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and the cover for the sequel is awesome as well.

      Delete
  4. Can't believe a person has to get injured or worse before they would do something. Looks like you in a mood for Witches! :) Hope you get some good reading in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm really enjoying The Coven and technically I could have finished it if I had stopped binge watching This is Us.

      Delete
  5. There is nothing scarier than having a strange dog run up to you when your dogs are with you, especially if they are small. I hope you read Akata Witch, I'm very curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ugh sorry to hear about the pitbull. Totally agree with you. It's all about the owner. I hope you enjoy your new books. I'm very intrigued by the three of them. They look very dark and mysterious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely in the dark and mysterious mood and need a pick me up after reading Final Girls.

      Delete
    2. ugh I hear you I just read your review. WTH King?? you let me girl Barb down :( She read this book becasue of your blurb! HUMPH!

      Delete
  7. It's hateful hot here, too! So miserable. I'm seriously ready for fall. Berg on the dog. I had that happen here with two large fancy breed ones. No idea what they were called but definitely not just mutts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love dogs and am really never afraid. However, I'm so cautious since the incident between Booker and Cass happened in February. Booker doesn't need another dog beating him up.

      Delete
  8. I've had run ins with loose dogs before. I too blame the owners, but sometimes even they aren't really at fault. Glad nobody was bitten. And I'm with you about the heat. It's sweltering here.
    Looking at your books I'm guessing you're feeling a bit witchy. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of time it is the owners but you make a good point - dogs can be tricky little buggers and sometimes they just escape. Who can really blame them because if they are tied up all the time, I'd want to escape too. Maybe I can learn a hex or two - that's the kind of mood I'm in.

      Delete
  9. I'm a huge dog lover, but I'm terrified of strange dogs on the loose. Dogs like dobermans and pitbulls are at the top of my list, too. Some of the sweetest dogs I've known have been dobermans or pitbulls, but I also know how much damage they can do. A strange dog is a strange dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Rottweilers scare me more than anything. I've met some nice one but they just look intimidating!

      Delete
  10. I come across so many loose dogs and it drives me crazy. We have been charged many times and it is really hard to control the situation with my three plus dogs that are loose. I am glad that nobody was hurt.

    ReplyDelete