Tuesday, September 5, 2023

2 Bloggers 1 Series - We Finally Made It!

 


Well, Stormi and I finally did it!  We actually completed the Virgin River series.  And just in time for the new season to drop on Netflix this week (however, I will say the show is much more drama-filled than the books and doesn't really follow them to directly - but I do get to see Preacher so I'm okay). It's been a joy to read this series with Stormi and now we are on the lookout for one to replace it.  Not that we are lacking other series reads because we are in the middle of several and have a new one planned for later this month.  So read on for my thoughts and then hop over to Stormi's to see what she thought as well.

TITLE: Return to Virgin River (Virgin River #19)
AUTHOR: Robyn Carr
PUBLISHER: MIRA
PUBLISHING DATE: October 13, 2020
PAGES: 257   
SOURCE: Hoopla


FROM GOODREADS: Kaylee Sloan’s home in Southern California is full of wonderful memories of the woman who raised her. But the memories are prolonging her grief over her mother’s recent death. A successful author, Kaylee hoped she could pour herself into her work. Instead she has terrible writer’s block and a looming deadline. 
Determined to escape distractions and avoid the holiday season, Kaylee borrows a cabin in Virgin River. She knows the isolation will help her writing, and as she drives north through the mountains and the majestic redwoods, she immediately feels inspired. Until she arrives at a building that has just gone up in flames. Devastated, she heads to Jack’s Bar to plan her next steps. The local watering hole is the heart of the town, and once she crosses the threshold, she’s surprised to be embraced by people who are more than willing to help a friend—or a stranger—in need. 
Kaylee’s world is expanding in ways she never dreamed possible. And when she rescues a kitten followed by a dog with a litter of puppies, she finds her heart opening up to the animals who need her. And then there’s the dog trainer who knows exactly how to help her. As the holidays approach, Kaylee’s dread turns to wonder. Because there’s no better place to spend Christmas than Virgin River.

MY THOUGHTS: This book follows two new characters who have only limited connections to anyone already in Virgin River, which was kind of refreshing and in a way, kind of sad.  Kaylee recently lost her mother and is headed to Virgin River to finish her novel, which is overdue.  Her rental plans go up in smoke, literally, and she ends up renting a place from artist and local dog trainer, Landry, who has issues of his own he is dealing with.  They soon form a new friendship and since this IS Virgin River, of course it is going to turn into more.

At first, I was concerned about this book.  Kaylee hates dogs.  Well, in her defense she was badly attacked as a youth which fuels her fear, but I shouldn't have worried because once Carr introduced a sexy dog-trainer, I knew my concerns could be put to rest.  I really like the slow-moving friendship between Kaylee and Landry and although there was the to-be-expected drama of an ex showing up, there were also some really sweet side stories involving Kaylee's father and a young girl who lives in town who is also losing her mother to cancer.  

I am so sad to see this series end but also really impressed that Stormi and I stuck through 19 books!  And honestly, I don't think one book in the series earned less that a 4 star so that's saying something.  If you love small town romance and engaging characters, this series just might suck you in as well.

MY RATING: 5 PAWS



6 comments:

  1. Wow great that you made it through 19 books. I only watched one episode of Virgin River and I also though too much drama, more than the book. I like the dog trainer character but I'd have to read 18 more books. lol

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe we finished and I am sad and excited at the same time...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Virgin River is probably my favorite contemporary small-town romance series ever! I've read most of the books at least twice, and the first 10 or 12 quite a few times. I did think a few of the later entries weren't as enthralling as the early ones... especially Return to Virgin River. But congratulations on finishing the series!

    I know what you mean about the series not following the events in the books. That put me off a bit. I kind of gave up toward the end of the first season. (For one thing, I prefered Jack in the books, how he is just all in with Mel from the start.) But I'm willing to give the show another try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you made it through all 19 books. That's awesome! This is a series I really do want to try someday. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice that the series ended with a 5 star read! I know that it feels good to complete the series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a perfect ending to the series. I love the idea of a dog trainer character! And big congrats to you and Stormi for sticking with it😁

    ReplyDelete