Tuesday, September 12, 2023

She Should Have Asked for a Better Job Description

 

TITLE: Witches Get Stuff Done (Starfall Point #1)
AUTHOR: Molly Harper
PUBLISHER: Sourcebooks Casablanca
PUBLISHING DATE: September 5, 2023
PAGES: 304   
SOURCE: Hoopla


FROM GOODREADS: Juggling newfound witchy powers, a house full of ghosts, and verbal battles with the handsome local librarian is almost too much for a new witch to manage. A new witch with a coven, however, can get so much more done... 
From the moment Riley Everett set foot in Starfall Point, magic bubbled inside of her. But with only her late aunt's journals and a cantankerous live-in ghost butler to instruct her on all things witchy—including her newly inherited Victorian haunted house—Riley seeks out a coven for sisterhood and support. The last person she expects to be drawn to is the town's frustrating, yet ridiculously attractive head librarian. 
Edison Held knows almost everything there is to know about Starfall Point, but Shaddow House was always off-limits, thanks to its elusive owner. If he can convince the new owner, Riley, to let him take a peek inside, there's so much he could learn. But as he gets closer to Riley, he's fascinated by her dazzling wit and fiery spirit. Edison will do whatever he can to help Riley keep her family legacy alive, especially if it means spending more time with the captivating new witch in town.

MY THOUGHTS: I have been spending a lot of time reading horror the past month or so and wanted something lighter to mix things up a bit.  When I saw Witches Get Stuff Done on Hoopla, I thought it might be a good palate cleanser and still stay in the spooky vibe and I can say I am glad I picked it up.  Some of my best reads this year have come from whims so maybe I should do it more often.

Riley Everette's mother has recently died when she learns her mother had been keeping a secret.  Riley has an aunt living on a Michigan island who Riley never knew existed.  The Aunt reaches out to Riley and since she is in between jobs, again, she decides to visit.  However, once she lands on the island, she learns her aunt has passed away.  Riley is suddenly thrown into a mysterious manor on the hill that the whole island is curious about and meets the butler, Plover, who just happens to be dead.  Riley learns it is up to her to guard all the spirits attached to the objects that now call Shaddow House their home and even though Riley has had MANY jobs in her life, this is one she is unprepared for.

This book was so much fun.  It has just the right amount of paranormal elements, romance and humor.  Riley manages to make some friends one she arrives who end up being part of her mystical coven and they were the perfect additions to Riley's zaniness.  I particularly loved Caroline, the town bartender, and was happy to see the next installment focuses on her. 

I only had a few issues with the book.  There were a few typos and unfortunately, I tend to focus on those things so they briefly pulled me out of the moment when I would run across them.  Also, the pacing was bit off.  Turns out quite a few months pass as the story unfolds and honestly, I wasn't picking up on it and didn't find out until basically it was laid out for me toward the end.  

All in all, this is a fun read, and I would recommend it to anyone who loves paranormal romance which leans heavily into rom-com territory.  This would also be a great read for someone who wants to read certain themes for spooky season but wants to stay away from horror and gore.

MY RATING: 4 PAWS


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a palate cleanser for you and definitely lighter.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed some of Molly Harper's other books. And this one just sounds fun. I'm in the mood for a bit of paranormal romance. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about lighter reads, sometimes it's necessary so you don't burn out. This sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete