Thursday, September 21, 2023

That Was A Change of Pace

 

TITLE: Chase Me (Broke and Beautiful #1)
AUTHOR: Tessa Bailey
PUBLISHER: Avon
PUBLISHING DATE: Originally Published March 17, 2015
PAGES: 304   
SOURCE: Library


FROM GOODREADS: College drop-out Roxy Cumberland moved to New York with dreams of becoming an actress, but her dwindling bank account is quickly putting the kibosh on that fantasy. To make some quick cash, she signs up to perform singing telegrams. Her first customer is a gorgeous, cocky Manhattan trust-funder if she ever laid eyes on one. And what could be more humiliating than singing an ode to his junk, courtesy of his recent one-night stand? Maybe the fact that she's dressed in a giant pink bunny costume... 
After a night out to celebrate winning his last case, lawyer Louis McNally II isn't prepared for the pounding in his head or the rabbit serenading him from the front door. But the sassy wit and sexy voice of the girl behind the mask intrigue him, and one look at her stunning face--followed by a mind-blowing kiss against his doorjamb--leaves Louis wanting more. 
Roxy doesn't need a spoiled rich guy who's had everything in life handed to him on a Tiffany platter. But there's more to Louis than his sexy surface and he's determined to make Roxy see it...even if it means chasing her all over NYC.

MY THOUGHTS: After reading quite a bit of horror the past few weeks, I found myself wanting something nice and quick.  This book just got a re-release complete with a new animated cover, which I won't lie, always gets my attention on romance books, so since I had recently picked it up from the library, I decided to dive in.

I've grown to really enjoy Tessa Bailey's books the past 2 years and luckily, she has enough of a catalog that I am nowhere near being finished with it.  Roxy is in NY pursuing an acting career.  She has just been kicked out of her apartment and needs money fast so she gets a job doing singing telegrams.  On her first gig, she meets Louis. Even though Roxy is in a bunny suit, the chemistry is undeniable and after she leaves with only a kiss, Louis hunts her down.  The remainder of the book allows us to see the whole cat-and-mouse game play out while learning exactly why Louis and Roxy are carrying so much baggage.

While the plot kept me interested, I will admit the side characters are what made the book for me. Roxy ends up being roommates with two women who are hilarious and it's really the first time Roxy has ever experienced true friendship.  Also, Louis's sisters are volatile and add just enough comedic relief. For example, when Louis is told his sister is cooking for everyone, he declares he will bring the fire extinguisher and when he arrives and asks her what is burning, she replies ketchup.  

If you want a fun read and you don't mind quite a bit of spice, then consider giving this author a try. I don't think I could read her novels in succession, but spread throughout other things, they are usually just what I need to rev up my reading.  There are two more books in this series with each one focusing on a different roommate so I'm excited to visit this world again.  Overall, not my favorite Tessa Bailey, but definitely worth my time.

MY RATING: 4 PAWS


4 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed this author before. This sounds a bit unbelievable but fun.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds like it has some fun moments in it...and a nice little break from the darker thrillers and horror you usually read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have somehow never read Tessa Bailey! This sounds good and I do love a book with a fun cast of characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely need a change at times too. In fact I'm due one right now, lol. Glad you enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete