Thursday, February 23, 2023

2 Bloggers 1 Book

 

So Stormi had another interesting pick for her thriller project this month and I jumped right on the bandwagon and picked up as copy as well.  I do believe I enjoyed this more than she did so she may be regretting her choice but I am glad she brought this book to my attention.  So, check out my review and then hop over to Stormi's at Storm Reads to see her's.

TITLE: One of the Girls
AUTHOR: Lucy Clarke
PUBLISHER: G.P. Putnam's Sons
PUBLISHING DATE: June 28, 2022
SOURCE: Library    
PAGES: 432

FROM GOODREADS: It was supposed to be the perfect weekend away. Six very different women travel to a sun-soaked Greek island for a bachelorette trip, to celebrate Lexi’s upcoming wedding. From the glorious ocean views to the quaint tavernas and whitewashed streets, the vacation seems too good to be true. But dangerous undercurrents run beneath the sunset swims and midnight cocktails – because each of the women is hiding a secret. Someone is determined to make sure that Lexi’s marriage never happens – and that one of them doesn’t leave the island alive.

Gripping, twisty, and full of sun-soaked suspense, this timely thriller examines the joys of female friendship…as well as the deadly consequences when a relationship goes wrong.

MY THOUGHTS: At the beginning I didn't have high hopes for this book.  We are following 6 women who are headed to a Greek Island for Lexi's hen party prior to her impending wedding.  Some of the women are part of an old friend group and a few are new.  It took a while for my brain keep track of who was who at the beginning but since I had the physical copy, I easily caught on.  

From the start the reader is clued into the fact that someone has died, and the book unravels what leads to that incident without ever revealing the identity of the victim.  The reader is given back stories and clues and to be honest, I had a few candidates I desperately wanted to nominate for the role.  This book held plenty of twists and turns and even though in my opinion most were predictable, it was still a fun ride.  And at the end, I was pleasantly surprised and a bit shocked at the conclusion.  

My main complaint with this book is that I find it highly unbelievable that 6 people, especially some who are new to this long-established friend group, have lives that are so entwined that the plot is even possible.  At times I couldn't put this down and for me, it was a quick read.  I really liked that we got chapters from each of the girls' perspectives, some more than others, and was overall satisfied with the ending.  I don't think this book has gotten a lot of hype but for people who enjoy thrillers, I do think it's worth consideration.  

RATING: 4 PAWS



2 comments:

  1. Glad this book turned out to be a good one after all. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read Stormi's review and I can tell you liked it a lot better. I haven't seen any other reviews for this, but it seems like it has a pretty good mystery plot!

    ReplyDelete