Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Another Reason I Don't Snowboard

 

TITLE: The Shuddering
AUTHOR: Ania Ahlborn
PUBLISHER: 47 North
PUBLISHING DATE: June 18, 2013/span>
PAGES: 283   
SOURCE: Own/Purchased


FROM GOODREADS: They only come when it snows, and nobody ever gets away. 
A group of close friends gathers at a secluded cabin in the wintry mountains of Colorado for a final holiday hurrah. Instead, it may be their last stand. First a massive blizzard leaves them marooned. Then the more chilling realization: something is lurking in the woods, watching them, waiting... 
Now a weekend of family, friends, and fun has turned into a test of love and loyalty in the face of inhuman horrors. The only hope for those huddled inside is to fight—tooth and nail, bullet and blade—for their lives. Otherwise, they'll end up like the monsters' other victims: bright pools of blood on glittering snow, screams lost in the vast mountains.

MY THOUGHTS: I read this for a Facebook Horror book club I participate in each month, and I love it when books they chose are ones I've been meaning to get to for a while.  In this case, I had even already bought a copy, so it was the perfect excuse to pick it up.

Ryan and Jane are headed to the mountains to spend one last weekend in the family cabin (more like a mansion in the woods) before it is sold.  Jane brings her best friend and Ryan has invited his childhood pal who is bring along his newest girlfriend.  Of course, Jane and this friend have unsettled history which adds to the relationship drama and tension in the cabin in dramatic fashion. What was to be a time to reminisce and get in some good snowboarding turns into a fight for survival when the group starts being stalked by something in the woods.  What they initially peg as wolves or elk turn out to be much scarier as well as something not of this earth.

For the most part I really enjoyed this book.  Because of the winter, snowstorm-trapped setting, it was the perfect January read.  I enjoyed learning more of the characters backstory and loved the bond between Jane and her twin Ryan.  There were some stereotypical stupid moves such as trying to drive out an unclear road in a huge snowstorm and taking off in the woods alone but nothing I couldn't look past. There was also some sarcasm and humor.  The monsters were scary, and the pacing was good.  I am glad the book was on the shorter side because it allowed for things to be wrapped up when a longer book might have seemed to drag.  

My rating reflects my one big dislike of the book.  MINOR SPOLIER ALERT - the dog dies.  However, the death is off the page and not described in any gory detail and Oona goes out being the very best dog ever!  I did become very attached to her though and had to find a spoiler when I first encountered her because come on, dogs and horror do not mix well!

All of that being said, I'm glad I finally marked this off the TBR pile.  It's the second book I've read by the author and definitely want to check out more.  If you are looking for a winter survival tale, look no further.

MY RATING: 4 PAWS



5 comments:

  1. I am liking it but as normal I think you enjoyed it more. I did like the sibling relationship but other than that didn't care much about the characters, especially April!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never understand why authors feel the need to kill off dogs. Unless there is a really good reason, I always get so mad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love a good winter survival story! Though it's very sad about the dog. I still might give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore Brother by this author but haven't read too many of her other books. I need to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete