Thursday, September 3, 2026

2 Bloggers 1 Series - Track of the Cat

 


When I saw USA Network was making a series based on the Anna Pigeon mysteries by Nevada Barr, I know I at least wanted to read a book or two before watching.  So, I convinced Stormi to pick up a new series read and give this one a try.  Not sure either of us got what we expected, and it might be a while before we pick up the next one, but I do think we will continue eventually.  


TITLE: Track of the Cat (Anna Pigeon #1)
AUTHOR: Nevada Barr
PUBLISHER: Avon
PUBLISHING DATE: January 1, 1993
PAGES: 218   
SOURCE: Own


FROM GOODREADS:
Anna Pigeon has fled New York and her memories to find work as a ranger in the country’s national parks. In the remote backcountry of West Texas, however, she discovers murder and violence. Fellow park ranger Sheila Drury is mysteriously killed, presumably by a mountain lion. But the deep claw marks Anna finds across Drury’s throat and the paw prints surrounding the body are too perfect to be real.

MY THOUGHTS: This book, which I understand is the first in a very long series, is basically a mystery which in my opinion is used to basically introduce us to a wide cast of characters, especially Anna.  

One the park rangers has been found by Anna while she is out in the backcountry of Texas tracking mountain lions.  Everyone believes Sheila was killed by one of the lions, but things don't add up for Anna.  Also, this gives the county an excuse to track down the mountain lion and kill it which angers Anna more than anything.  Anna starts investigating, more people start dying, and in the end, the reader learns what has been going on and who is responsible. 

This book features a lot of wildlife mentions and references which I assume is a reoccurring theme in upcoming books because Anna is a park ranger. I could have done without the snake chapter but that's just me and I have to admit, it added a lot to the plot.  I'm not sure I am extremely fond of Anna as I believe she is a bit odd, which might be a factor as I continue the series, but we will see. I thought the mystery was solid and really enjoyed the setting so I will at least try book two at some point.

While the first part of the book was a tad slow, the second half really ramped up and saved the overall rating.  I'm curious if anyone has read any of this series and if you have, should I make continuing it a priority? 

MY RATING: 3 PAWS

 

No comments:

Post a Comment