Sunday, October 1, 2023

Farm News - October 1, 2023


 Well, I can't say that this week was completely uneventful like that last few have been.  I ended up getting both the new covid and flu vaccines Tuesday after work.  I'm not getting into a vaccine debate but it's something we chose to do.  I felt fine all Tuesday evening, but come Wednesday morning, I felt sick and achy all day.  I took the day off from work and ended up Netflixing and Chilling all day.  Even reading made me slightly nauseous.  My arm welted up pretty badly and even though that stuck around for about 5 days, I pretty much was feeling a lot better by Thursday. I think it was more the flu shot that got me the most as I don't have the best experience with them over the years.

Also, we almost bought a boxer puppy, but it was on a whim when we saw one available.  Let's just say she would have been a MAJOR investment, but in the end, we decided one, we really aren't ready yet and two, we are also leaning more toward rescuing a one- or two-year-old pup from one of our local humane societies.  With both of us having to travel out of town for work obligations in October, and Apollo possibly having to have a small procedure (we will know more October 13th but could use good thoughts and prayers), it just isn't the right time to add to the family.

It's the start of October so that means new books on the old TBR (which I don't really follow anymore).  I made it through over half of It in September so of course, I am still reading on it.  I am starting  Horror Hotel today and hope to pick up Hex Education soon.  I also plan on knocking out Scritch Scratch sooner rather than later.  Hopefully I can make good progress on some or all this coming week.  I also have two more Creature Feature stories to read before I complete the collection so look for my review series of the last four to continue this week.  

I also snagged a few arcs from Netgalley.  The Night of the Storm looks like an extremely atmospheric thriller which releases in January 2024 (can't believe I just typed 2024). Since I am looking forward to my team retreat coming up soon (NOT!) I think Zero Days Since Last Incident is VERY fitting and even though it comes out at the end of October, and I may not squeeze it in until November, I want to make sure to make time for it. And finally, The Vacation from John Marrs, which I actually think is a reissue, releases in January 2024 as well.  I really didn't intentionally plan the blue theme but it is rather pleasing to look at right?

So I hope everyone had a great week.  I want to thank everyone who visits Booker T Farms and even though my schedule doesn't allow time to reply to all my comments, I read each and every one and always try to stop by your blogs and reply or at least return the visit and catch up.  And in closing, here is Apollo's version of Netflix and Chill.  Happy Reading!




10 comments:

  1. Sorry for a not so uneventful week. I'll keep my fingers crossed for good news for Apollo for sure! Haunted Hotel was one I really wanted to read but haven't gotten to it yet. I hope you have a good week!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this week is much easier and that things go well for Apollo. We debate about a second dog as a companion / playmate for Lulu but we are spoiled by her being so compatible with us and another dog might not be.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to get both my booster and flu shot, but I'm trying to plan it when I have the next day to recuperate from it just in case. And I hope all goes well with Apollo! You definitely have my prayers and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes those shots can have nasty side effects for a couple days soreness or whatever but I always feel better getting them. I'd rather have the protection. And Horror Hotel looks fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apollo is adorable! It's so tempting to get another dog, right? I'm sure when our pup grows up a bit and isn't so crazy, I'm going to want to add to the family. I had no idea John Marrs had a book coming out, even if it's a re-release, I need to check it out! Have a good week, Barb😁

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear that your vaccinations hit you so hard. As usual, the only evidence that I had mine was that I had Band-Aids on my arms. Your new books look like fun. I added some from NetGalley this week too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last year I had the Covid booster and flu shot the same day and I didn't feel well at all. This year, I'm going to try to get them on separate days and see if that's better.

    Your books look so good. I want to read The Vacation and The Night of the Storm.

    What a cute picture of Apollo. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes... I have my flu vaccination coming up - and that's the one that tends to flatten me, too. I'm also going to enquire if there's a covid booster shot available when I go - having had such a HUGE battle with long covid, I really don't want to go down with this one so hard again, just when I'm clearly at long last recovering!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had a bad reaction to the flu vaccine in the past but I still think that it is a good idea. Sorry that you were not feeling well. We have been a 3 dog family for a long time but I hope that I don't do it again. It is a lot at times. You'll know when the time is right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always love seeing photos of Apollo. 😍

    ReplyDelete