Thursday, April 27, 2023

2 Bloggers 1 Series - Krewe of Hunters

 


So some time ago Stormi and I stated reading the Krewe of Hunters.  We only read the first one, but I really enjoyed it and knew I definitely wanted to continue on with it.  So read on for my thoughts and then hop over to Stormi's at Storm Reads to see her's.

TITLE: Heart of Evil (Krewe of Hunters #2)
AUTHOR: Heather Graham
PUBLISHER: MIRA
PUBLISHING DATE: June 28, 2011
SOURCE: Hoopla
PAGES: 376

FROM GOODREADS: Emerging from the bayou like an apparition, Donegal Plantation is known for its unsurpassed dining, captivating atmosphere, haunting legends and now a corpse swinging from the marble angel that marks its cemetery's most majestic vault. A corpse discovered in nearly the same situation as that of Marshall Donegal, the patriarch killed in a skirmish just before the Civil War.

Desperate for help traditional criminologists could never provide, plantation heiress Ashley Donegal turns to an elite team of paranormal investigators who blend hard forensics with rare & often inexplicable intuition. Among the Krewe of Hunters is an old flame, Jake Mallory, a gifted musician with talent stretching far beyond the realm of the physical, and a few dark ghosts of his own.

The evil the team unveils has the power to shake the plantation to its very core. Jake and Ashley are forced to risk everything to unravel secrets that will not stay buried even in death.

MY THOUGHTS:  I have to admit that it took me some time to get fully invested in this one.  There was quite a bit of historical references as early on, there is a Civil War enactment which prompts the beginning of the main mystery.  However, I quickly settled in and loved learning about the history of Donegal Plantation and all the ghosts which had taken up residence and why.

Ashley Donegal used to be involved with Jake, one of the Krewe Hunters, but left him when she learned he could "sense" things and possible communicate with the dead.  Fast forward a few years and her grandfather calls in some favors with the special FBI team when someone goes missing after the most recent enactment.  Ashley is glad to have the help but doesn't know how she feels about Jake returning.  However, is her unease amplified by her own unexplained experience with some long-dead family members?

I love the paranormal aspect of these books and it's always fun to see what the team will be investigating next.  Each book seems to place the main focus on different characters so it's nice to see a variety of people which I believe will keep things fresh moving forward in such a long series.  The mystery was intriguing, and it goes to say I tend to enjoy any book which is set in Louisiana.  The plantation, bayou and creatures all lent themselves well to the paranormal aspects of Heart of Evil.

SO overall, this book was a hit and I am excited to move on.  They seem to be quick reads and I can see them quickly taking place of another favorite comfort read series once it's completed soon.  

RATING: 4 PAWS





5 comments:

  1. I love the history parts of this series. 😃 As well as the ghost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this setting too, especially if there are ghosts. This sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only managed the first 5ish in this series. I am listening because I love Luke Daniels. These are pretty quick reads. The combo of woowoo and romance is one I like but neither is extremely compelling. I haven't read these in awhile though. I do hope to read on at some point.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to know about this series. I do love those paranormal investigations. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a series that has been on my tbr forever! I am so glad that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete