Friday, February 23, 2024

Guess Even Zombies Suffer from Depression Too!

 

TITLE: Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues (White Trash Zombie #2)
AUTHOR: Diana Rowland
PUBLISHER: DAW
PUBLISHING DATE: July 1, 2012
PAGES: 312   
SOURCE: Own


FROM GOODREADS: Angel Crawford is finally starting to get used to life as a brain-eating zombie, but her problems are far from over. Her felony record is coming back to haunt her, more zombie hunters are popping up, and she’s beginning to wonder if her hunky cop-boyfriend is involved with the zombie mafia. Yeah, that’s right—the zombie mafia. 
Throw in a secret lab and a lot of conspiracy, and Angel’s going to need all of her brainpower—and maybe a brain smoothie as well—in order to get through it without falling apart.

MY THOUGHTS: I am surprised at how much I am enjoying this series so far.  I have always been curious about it and even ended up buying this book years ago, but it wasn't until I saw that series readalong that I decided to give it a go.  Glad I did.

This second installment sees Angel still struggling with the ramifications of becoming a zombie and what that means going forward.  She is now seeing the local law enforcement officer, working at the city morgue, and trying to get off probation, when a body she transported gets stolen at gunpoint.  Because of her past, not everyone buys into what happens and feels she is just covering for losing the body. This leads her to clear her name and investigate what she suspects are nefarious activities at a local lab in town.  Throw in a shady character who reappears from book one and her boyfriend's mom uncle and Rowland takes the reader on a ride that isn't soon forgotten.

This book shows a lot of character growth from Angel.  And growth is a strange word to use when she is coming to terms with the fact that she may "live" much longer than those around her.  She is starting to question her new relationship as well as realizing she really wants to turn her life around and make a future for herself.  I enjoy seeing Angel and her father trying to repair their relationship and when a character who I thought was long gone makes another appearance, my concern quickly morphed into excitement and I have to admit, I'm curious what the author has planned for him in the future.

If you have ever enjoyed urban fantasy, then this series is one to consider.  It is quickly becoming a fave and I can't wait to read book three!

MY RATING: 5 PAWS



4 comments:

  1. I love this cover! It says a lot about the humor. Glad this was such a success, I can't wait to hear your thoughts about the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been awhile since I've read any zombie books...I've heard such good things about this series. I definitely want to try the first book soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thrilled to hear you're enjoying the series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I am loving these. I rated it 5 hearts too. Thanks so much for reading with us. I'm so glad you are enjoying it too.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete