TITLE: Not a Word
AUTHOR: Linwood Barclay
PUBLISHER: William Morrow
PUBLISHING DATE: August 25, 2026
PAGES: 314
SOURCE: Library
FROM GOODREADS: Every family has secrets, but when Reece visits his parents’ home he’s shocked to find his father and a woman he assumes is his mother in bed. Dead. At first glance it looks like a murder-suicide perpetrated by his father, but on closer inspection there’s clearly more to the story. For starters, inconsistencies in the crime scene suggest his dad may not have shot himself.
As Reece, shaken by his horrifying discovery, awaits questioning from the police, his phone lights up. It’s a call from his mom—his real mom. The dead woman in that bed is clearly not the person Reece believed her to be.
His mom is at a lunch date with friends, she says, and can’t raise her husband on the phone. Could Reece drop by and see if everything’s okay? At a loss for how to tell his mother her husband is dead in bed with another woman, Reece simply tells “Come home now.”
But instead of rushing home, she disappears. Could she have been involved? Was she seeking revenge on her husband and a mistress? Or, just as frightening, did someone kill Reece’s father and that woman, thinking wrongly that Reece’s mother had been dispatched?
And what might this grisly scene have to do with the unscrupulous pharma company Reece’s father worked for years ago?
Soon Reece finds himself questioning how well he really knew his parents—who they were, what they did, and who they hurt. Most importantly, he needs to figure out who might want to hurt him and his own family now.
One afternoon, Reece stops by his parents' home to return some books he borrowed. He was also hoping to get his dad's advice having recently been a victim of downsizing at work. The door was unlocked but no one answers so he goes inside and ends up finding his mother and dad in bed, the victims of an apparent murder-suicide. Reece starts reeling and the police start swarming, but nothing can prepare Reece for what happens next - a call from his mother asking her to check on his dad because he isn't answering his phone.
The book continues on as we learn more about Reece and older brother, who has a history of bad behavior and addiction. We also get a glimpse into the family's past through flashbacks and recollections. Reece's teenage son also finds himself smack in the middle of the mess, much to his parents' dislike.
I loved everything about his book. It was thrilling and quick paced and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I could say I wasn't a fan of Reece's mother, but his father turned out to be my favorite character which is a feat considering he died in the first chapter. The ending was satisfying and had more twists and turns that a racetrack.
If you love thrillers and messy family drama, this is definitely a book you want to pick up. Now off to see what I can read from this author next!
MY RATING: 5 PAWS

"I could say I wasn't a fan of Reece's mother, but his father turned out to be my favorite character which is a feat considering he died in the first chapter."
ReplyDeleteI hope this means he didn't actually cheat on Reece's mother, which by the way opens interesting scenarios...
Who's Alex?
It's a play on the game show, Jeopardy when Alex Trebec was the host. And the father isn't perfect, but the others were way more messed up.
DeleteThis sounds pretty trippy! I have never read Barclay before but I might need to. I'm so curious about the mom.
ReplyDeleteI really disliked the mom.
DeleteI love your title! Would you say they are more thriller or horror? I can do thriller.
ReplyDeleteAnne - Books of My Heart
Anne this is 100% a thriller. Whistle is a horror but most of his books are thrillers I think. You are safe with this one!
Delete