Tuesday, October 16, 2018

TTT - Going Off Track

The top 10 weekly meme used to be hosted by The Broke and the Bookish they  handed over the reins to ThatArtsyReaderGirl who can be found HERE.  Each week she will focus on lists which cover various topics related to books and reading. 

This week's topic is bookstores or libraries I'd like to visit.  I really don't travel a lot and honestly couldn't probably come up with anything so since it's the spooky season, so I'm going to share what I would consider "underrated" scary books.  Hope you find some new recommendations.



The Family Plot - Cherie Priest.  I'm surprised more people haven't read this haunted house tale.  Priest is a pretty well-known author and I definitely think more people should pick this one up.

The Awesome - Eva Darrows (aka Hillary Monahan) - I had a blast with this book.  This is kind of light-hearted horror about Maggie, a teenage monster hunter but it was so much fun!

The Library at Mount Char - Scott Hawkins.  Seriously, I can't even begin to put this book in words.  Which seems to be a commonality amongst a lot of its readers.  But I would most definitely recommend it.

Rooms - Lauren Oliver.  When I see this author mentioned, it's rarely for this book but this is another underrated haunted house tale I thoroughly enjoyed.

The Suicide Motor Club - Christopher Buehlman.  Okay so maybe it's not underrated because this one has gotten some buzz, but I can't figure out why EVERYONE hasn't read it.  It's that good people!

Snowed - Maria Alexander.  Seriously - Christmas horror.  I enjoyed this one and it's a Krampus retelling of sorts.  AND I just learned while making this post book 2 just came out. I know what I'm reading this holiday season!

Graveminder - Melissa Marr.  This one had a more Gothic feel than horror but it does center around spooky rituals.  I've always been surprised it never got more buzz, especially given the author.

The Countess - Rebecca Johns.  So I sort of have a weird fascination with famous creepy people - Lizzie Borden, Jack the Ripper and Elizabeth Bathory.  This one could be a great historical creepy read for the Halloween season.

So Cold the River - Michael Koryta.  I love this author's spooky tales and I never hear much about him.  I'd recommend this one as well as The Ridge.

The Birthing House - Christopher Ransom.  This is another book I don't think enough people have read.  It's another haunted house/possession tale so please, someone else read it and then you can tell me I was right in loving it or am completely off my rocker.


So there you have it.  Have you read any of these?  Have I convinced you to give any a try?

30 comments:

  1. Light hearted horror from a monster hunter? SOLD! That sounds like such a treat to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like that one a lot and it wouldn't really scare you at all!

      Delete
  2. These books sound wonderful. You've convinced me to read Snowed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so excited to see the sequel was out (and find out it even had one). It's going on the December TBR for sure.

      Delete
  3. I have wanted to read Rooms but have never gotten around to it. Maybe I will see if my library has it. The Library on Mount Char looks intriguing. thanks for sharing these books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will warn you Library at Mount Char has some animal abuse - but it's not dogs. I basically skimmed that part. Rooms is such an atmospheric read.

      Delete
  4. I'm not big on haunted house books but I do have the Cherie Priest book on my wishlist. I'm going to have to give priority to the Suicide Motor Club (And Certain Dark Things as well!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, Certain Dark Things was going on this list but since I talk about it all the time, I figured I'd skip it this round.

      Delete
  5. Great list! I'm actually working on a top ten list for Halloween and of course The Suicide Motor Club is on it. And I agree, I loved The Family Plot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice twist on this week's theme!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:
    https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2018/10/top-ten-tuesday-bookstores-ive-visited.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay so some of these would FREAK me out lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a similar upcoming post. There are a lot of underrated scary books out there. Graveminder sounds like a really interesting read. Thanks for the recs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it. I grabbed it from the library when it was released and was glad I did.

      Delete
  9. I've read a few of these - glad to see you enjoyed The Awesome - I also had fun with that one. I need to check out Snowed - I like the look of that one too.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun. I've always secretly wanted a sequel.

      Delete
  10. I am such a scaredy cat that I don't think I could read any of these!

    Thanks for sharing,
    ~Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm betting you could read The Awesome. Keep it in mind if you ever want to try a light-hearted horror.

      Delete
  11. I loved The Library at Mount Char! I kind of want to read it again and see if it was as weird as I remember. I need to check out the others on your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It's such a hard book to put into words.

      Delete
  12. Yes, I've read a few of these and I need to read a bunch more. The Birthing House sounds super creepy.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I want to see more people read that one!

      Delete
  13. Ooh. I spy a bunch of new authors! Always looking for more spooky reads too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many fab covers! 👍✨

    I always get The Library at Mount Char mixed up with The Invisible Library and one other book on my Kindle, so when I see it on ebook special I always think I already have it. I'll have to look for it on Hoopla. 📚

    I have a hardcover of Rooms. I found it at The Dollar Tree! I will be getting to it at some point. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read The Library at Mount Char and you'll never get it confused with anything again. That's a great buy on Rooms!

      Delete
  15. I LOVED The Awesome! And I've honestly had Graveminder on my TBR for far too long. Gotta check the rest of these out too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it. The Awesome was so much fun and I'm glad to find more people who have read it.

      Delete
  16. Many of these are still on my TBR! I need to hurry up and get to them!!

    ReplyDelete