Thursday, December 26, 2019

2 Bloggers 1 Book - The Stand (part 2)


Well, Stormi and I are at it again and this time, she managed to convince me to read another giant book! Seems like it's been the year of the big book so why stop now.  For the months of November, December and January, we are tackling the unedited version of Stephen King's The Stand.  While I don't feel right rating each section, I do want to share some thoughts. And make sure to go check out Stormi's thoughts @ Books, Movies, Reviews! Oh My!



TITLE: The Stand
AUTHOR: Stephen King
PUBLISHER: Anchor
PUBLISHING DATE: October 1978

FROM GOODREADS: This is the way the world ends: with a nanosecond of computer error in a Defense Department laboratory and a million casual contacts that form the links in a chain letter of death.

And here is the bleak new world of the day after: a world stripped of its institutions and emptied of 99 percent of its people. A world in which a handful of panicky survivors choose sides or are chosen. A world in which good rides on the frail shoulders of the 108-year-old Mother Abigail and the worst nightmares of evil are embodied in a man with a lethal smile and unspeakable powers: Randall Flagg, the Dark Man.  

MY THOUGHTS:
So honestly, I'm really struggling with this one.   If it wasn't for Stormi, I might have put it down where it might have stayed long-term.  At least she managed to motivate me and I finished the section we arranged.  However, she bribed me with a somewhat shorter section than we anticipated so we could finish the Kate Daniels series before the year is out.  Thank heavens for small favors 😊

So basically the section we read this month were the "good guys" traveling to join Mother Abigail, and the "bad guys" traveling to join Flagg.  Now where in the first part it was Larry's chapters which killed me, Trashcan Man now has him beat.  His chapter went on forever...and I mean FOREVER!  I

I am still liking the same characters.  Nick is my favorite and Fran and Stu are pretty great too.  Mother Abigail is completely awesome and I'm interested in learning more about Joe.  I seriously dislike Harold and Nadine as well as Trashcan Man and of course Flagg.  I am starting to like Larry more and I feel that he is showing the most character growth right now.  I'm not real happy that Stu's gang abandoned the dog because they were taking motorcycles because seriously, won't the new world need canines?

So overall, I'm still journeying along just like our cast of characters. One of the main differences in mine and Stormi's reading preferences is I like character-driven tales more that her so that being said, I don't know how she is managing to read The Stand so far.  There's been very little action.  I am hoping the last third is action-packed and keeps me on the edge of my sheet or I fear I may never finish! 

RATING:  No rating yet as we aren't finished.  However, at this point, I'd be hard pressed to give it more than 3/5 if I had to rate it.

11 comments:

  1. I have never really gotten what this book was about (plus it's HUGE lol) so I've never read it, but I have heard good things. I hope it picks up for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sort of a dystopian, or maybe it's post-apocalyptic - or both. And yes, it's SOOOOO long.

      Delete
  2. Trashcan Man bugged the hell out of me as well-I really saw little point to him for most of the book. Hang on in there as there are twists to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see who is cast as him in the new remake. Stormi and I have seen Marilyn Manson has a role but it hasn't been disclosed. I'm totally seeing him as Trashcan Man.

      Delete
  3. I remember the middle being much slower, so hopefully once you get past that part, the plot will speed up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it sort of reminded me of the hobbits traveling...and traveling...and traveling though the Shire.

      Delete
  4. I saw the movie but never read the book. I liked the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it too and am anxious for the mini-series remake.

      Delete
  5. I read this one after I saw that TV mini series they made of it back in 1994, and I think that really helped me get through the long bits when I read it. (Like Trashcan Man's parts!) Harold was a least favorite character. I don't remember a ton, but I do remember liking it when I was done. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I like it when all is said and done. I'm scared because typically King's endings are somewhat weak.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete