Tuesday, December 31, 2019

2 Bloggers 1 Series - WE DID IT! (Magic Triumphs Review)

It's time to celebrate guys!  Stormi and I actually read the entire Kate Daniels series (as well as two companion novels) this year.  I'm so glad we coordinated this challenge and it was a wonderful series to knock out of the way.  I love so many of the books so much and can't wait to start a new series in 2020!  There were times I didn't know I had it in me (I'm looking at you Hugh) but Stormi managed to keep me going.  So read on to see what I thought of the last book in the series, Magic Triumphs.  And then make sure you're checking out Stormi's thoughts over @  Books, Movies, Reviews! Oh My!

WARNING:  Spoilers ahead.  What do you expect - it's book 10!

TITLE: Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels #10)
AUTHOR: Ilona Andrews 
PUBLISHER: Ace
PUBLISHING DATE: August 28, 2018


FROM GOODREADS: 

Mercenary Kate Daniels must risk all to protect everything she holds dear in this epic, can't-miss entry in the thrilling #1 New York Times bestselling urban-fantasy series. 

Kate has come a long way from her origins as a loner taking care of paranormal problems in post-Shift Atlanta. She's made friends and enemies. She's found love and started a family with Curran Lennart, the former Beast Lord. But her magic is too strong for the power players of the world to let her be. 

Kate and her father, Roland, currently have an uneasy truce, but when he starts testing her defenses again, she knows that sooner or later a confrontation is inevitable. The Witch Oracle has begun seeing visions of blood, fire, and human bones. And when a mysterious box is delivered to Kate's doorstep, a threat of war from the ancient enemy who nearly destroyed her family, she knows her time is up. 

Kate Daniels sees no other choice but to combine forces with the unlikeliest of allies. She knows betrayal is inevitable. She knows she may not survive the coming battle. But she has to try. 

For her child. 

For Atlanta.

For the world.  

MY THOUGHTS: So I did it!  I finally finished this series.  And I feel like the last few books having definitely been setting up for a final battle between Kate and her father Roland.  Although I must admit that while the reader knew it was headed there, there was additional focuses as well in this novel.

So this book skips ahead about 13 months after the last one.  I also want to thank the bloggers who urged Stormi and myself to read Iron & Magic before this.  I definitely see now where it filled in some important data.  We are FINALLY introduced to Conlan, Kate and Curran's son and man, this needs to be adapted to television because I need to see baby Conlan in his shifter mode.  We are also visited by some familiar faces - including Hugh and his new wife, Elara.  And yes, brace yourself, I will finally admit that I am starting to like Hugh and he has redeemed himself.  And gee, I never thought that was possible which just goes to show how talented this husband/wife writing duo is. 

So yes, this book has battles, and yes, it has deaths.  I expected them both and was saddened by the outcomes for several aspects.  Curran does something really stupid this time around which turns out to be very smart.  I should have never doubted him.  But then again, Kate doubted him as well and he's her husband so there. 

If you are on the fence about this series, don't be.  I can honestly say that every installment has gotten at least 4/5 from me and many 5/5.  It's hard to find fault with this last one as well.  The ending left some things hanging and I'm hoping to see Erra and Julie appear in the future Iron Covenant books.  And speaking of, those can't come fast enough!

RATING: 5 PAWS



ANIMAL ABUSE TRIGGER WARNING:  NONE!  Grendel the giant attack poodle survived the entire series!  YAY GRENDEL!!!!!

9 comments:

  1. Hurrah for the dog surviving!!! That is always good news! I do intend to go back and try this series at some point in the future but at the moment urban fantasy is at the bottom of my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. And it's so rare for a dog to make it through the whole series. With all the monster fighting and everything that goes on, I thought for sure Grendel was a goner. But he rarely even got hurt.

      Delete
  2. I love that you and Stormi stick with it and finished this series! And yay for Grendel! I'm curious to see what you'll choose to tackle next year😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad we took this one on. The next series is a complete shift from this one.

      Delete
  3. Yes, we did do it! :) We also both gave it 5 stars! :) I am so sad but at the same time glad we finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I will miss them but am anxious for who makes an appearance in the next Hugh book.

      Delete
  4. Isn't this series wonderful I am so glad that you enjoyed it as much as you did. I thought that this was a wonderful series finale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, now I completely understand why people rave about it!

      Delete
  5. This is my favorite all time series by my favorite author team. This book is a masterpiece and I really liked the first Iron& Magic book too. One of the characters I am very attached to is Christopher. He grabbed my heart when we first met him and has kept it. I'm so glad you guys have read it and now realize it's a great series.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete