Thursday, July 27, 2023

2 Bloggers 1 Book - The Housemaid

 


At the beginning of the year, Stormi stated she wanted to read more thrillers in 2023 and asked if I was game for some additional buddy reads.  I'm always up to reading more with Stormi but lately we've felt like this little endeavor was a complete bomb.  I am happy to say this saved our negative streak a tad.  So read on for my thoughts and then hop over to Stormi's to see what she thought as well.

TITLE: The Housemaid
AUTHOR: Freida McFadden
PUBLISHER: Bookouture
PUBLISHING DATE: April 26, 2022
PAGES: 329   
SOURCE: Kindle Unlimited

FROM GOODREADS: 

“Welcome to the family,” Nina Winchester says as I shake her elegant, manicured hand. I smile politely, gazing around the marble hallway. Working here is my last chance to start fresh. I can pretend to be whoever I like. But I’ll soon learn that the Winchesters’ secrets are far more dangerous than my own… 
Every day I clean the Winchesters’ beautiful house top to bottom. I collect their daughter from school. And I cook a delicious meal for the whole family before heading up to eat alone in my tiny room on the top floor. 
I try to ignore how Nina makes a mess just to watch me clean it up. How she tells strange lies about her own daughter. And how her husband Andrew seems more broken every day. But as I look into Andrew’s handsome brown eyes, so full of pain, it’s hard not to imagine what it would be like to live Nina’s life. The walk-in closet, the fancy car, the perfect husband. 
I only try on one of Nina’s pristine white dresses once. Just to see what it’s like. But she soon finds out… and by the time I realize my attic bedroom door only locks from the outside, it’s far too late. 
But I reassure myself: the Winchesters don’t know who I really am. 
They don’t know what I’m capable of…

MY THOUGHTS: This thriller was a fast-paced fun read and I will definitely be grabbing the sequel.  Especially since it's on Kindle Umlimited and I'm trying my best to justify that monthly expense.  

Mia recently lost her job a the local bar and is living in her car when she goes to interview for a housekeeping job in a ritzy neighborhood.  She would love to get it because it is a live-in position, but she fears once a background check is done, she doesn't stand a chance.  Mia is on probation and has a questionable past.  However, she soon gets the job and that's when Mia's problems REALLY begin.

This book is told in 2 parts and I really can't discuss it a lot or else it will give a lot away.  Let's just say they are terrible, twisty people doing terrible twisty things. I will add that this is also a terrible twisty child thrown in for good measure as well.  This is a good example of where I didn't really like any of the characters but I loved the book anyway.  The author had just enough twists and turns to keep me on my feet and even after learning the major plot twist, I was still quite invested in what might happen at the end.

I believe this book has gotten both positive and negative hype but I am pleased to say it really worked for me. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun summer read.

RATING: 4 PAWS



6 comments:

  1. I am glad we finally found one that worked! I think I was a bit more bored in the beginning than you but thankfully you kept me going telling me there was an interesting twist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you guys finally found a really good one. This does sound like a good twisty thriller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought this on Audible but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this series and every book in it.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really good. I'm always trying to find good thrillers, maybe I'll keep this in mind:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I have been seeing this author everywhere and have been curious. This sounds like something that I would like.

    ReplyDelete