Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Top 10 Tuesday - Diversity

The Top 10 weekly meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and can be found here.   Each week they focus on lists which cover various topics related to books and reading. This week we are highlighting diversity.  I am running short on time so I am only featuring my top 5.
 
*For the purposes of this topic our definition of diversity is aligned with that of WNDB: "We recognize all diverse experiences, including (but not limited to) LGBTQIA, people of color, gender diversity, people with disabilities, and ethnic, cultural, and religious minorities." 
 
 

Ghost Chaser - The Curse of Steel: Dedrick Frazier.  While I haven't posted my review yet, this was a book sent to me by the author.  The 2 main characters in the novel are African American and Hispanic and one side character was Jamaican.  The author did a nice job of blending in a variety of cultures which made the book more interesting.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl:  Jesse Andrews.  Another great mixture featuring a predominate character of color.  I loved this book and cannot recommend it enough.
 
 Meeting Chance: Jennifer Lavoie.  An LGBT book with a great story and a wonderful dog.

The Snow Garden: Christopher Rice.  I read this book in 2005 solely because he was Anne Rice's son.  I really enjoyed the story and it was my first experience with LGBT characters in popular novels.  I don't think this book was extremely well liked, but I still enjoy Rice's novels.

Minion: L.A. Banks.  One of my first forays into vampire series.  I really enjoyed this book when I read it and loved the various cultures Banks incorporated into an urban fantasy setting.  

Have you read any of these books are think you might pick any up?  Leave a comment so I can start stalking your blog :)


5 comments:

  1. Great List!! I haven't actually heard of any of these books before. Totally going to check some out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed them all in some fashion. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. Interesting list! I haven't heard of any of these yet.


    My TTT http://mommywantstoread.blogspot.com/2015/07/top-ten-tuesday-books-weing-igth.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see Me and Earl on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. L.A. Banks is a great choice for this list! :)
    My ttt
    http://hauntedgravebooks.blogspot.com/2015/07/top-ten-books-that-celebrate.html

    ReplyDelete