Monday, May 8, 2017

Invader Zim - Pretty Sure I've Missed Something

TITLE: Invader Zim (Vol. 1)
AUTHOR: Jhonen Vasquez, Eric Trueheart, Aaron Alexovich, Megan Lawton
PUBLISHER: Oni Press
PUBLISHING DATE: January 27, 2016

FROM GOODREADS: From the far reaches of weird space to the incomprehensible world of underground art, ZIM is back! And his thirst for world domination has only grown.  Zim and his filthy evil ways have been gone for what seems like years.  But Dib KNOWS the alien menace will rear his head again, and he won't leave the house, or his 900 security monitors, until it happens.  And it WILL happen. Oh it WILL.

MY THOUGHTS:  So I'm pretty sure this was once a TV series (that's how much research I've done). I basically picked it up because I saw it on the "new" graphic novel shelf at my library.  Oh, and the bright colors also drew me in.  Invader Zim is basically an incompetent alien who thinks his race has sent him to Earth to destroy it when really they just wanted him gone. He has a sidekick robot named Gir and Dib, a geek, is basically the only one on Earth who realizes what Zim is up to and has taken it upon himself to stop his evil plans.

This was a fun read but I think had I seen a few episodes of the show, I'd have had a better understanding of what was going on.  I think the adventures are fairly interesting enough, especially the one featuring a space-donkey, but it just didn't draw me in as I hoped it would.  The artwork is extremely colorful and well-done and while I definitely appreciate it, I don't know that I will make it a point to pick up future volumes.  I do have to add that in between each issue, there is a recap by this little creature and they are very amusing.  In fact, they were probably my favorite part of the book,

If you saw the series, then I would recommend seeking out this book.

MY RATING: 3 Paws


6 comments:

  1. This was a show on TV when I was a kid/teen, and I think I found it kind of disturbing back then, but then I watched Season 1 or something on Amazon Prime a year or two ago, and it was still disturbing, but in a fantastically hilarious way lol. So yeah, idk if you might've enjoyed it more had you seen the show. I kinda want to read this now except I'm not willing to pay like $10 for a volume and I just checked and it's not on Hoopla :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to see if I can catch an episode somewhere so I have a frame of reference.

      Delete
  2. They had some really disturbing kids shows in the late 90-s early 2000's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to think so. Although I watch Adventure Time and I'm pretty sure it's kind of disturbing as well.

      Delete
  3. Never heard of it but sounds interesting...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny they just wanted him gone! I've never seen the show - I imagine it probably would make more sense if you've seen it!

    ReplyDelete