Monday, May 22, 2017

No Pointed Hats Allowed - Wytches review

TITLE: Wytches
AUTHOR: Scott Snyder
PUBLISHER: Image Comics
PUBLISHING DATE: June 24, 2015

FROM GOODREADS: Everything you thought you knew about witches is wrong. They are much darker, and they are much more horrifying. Wytches takes the mythology of witches to a far creepier, bone-chilling place than readers have dared venture before. When the Rooks family moves to the remote town of Litchfield, NH to escape a haunting trauma, they're hopeful about starting over. But something evil is waiting for them in the woods just beyond town. Watching from the trees. Ancient...and hungry.

MY THOUGHTS: 
I've been wanting to read this for ages so I was thrilled when I finally found a copy at my local library. "Wytches" tells the story of Sailor and her family. There was some trauma in their previous town regarding Sailor and the disappearance of a classmate so the family moves to make a fresh start. Her father clearly has some issues of his own going on and her mother had a bad accident which left her wheelchair-bound. Strange things start happening and Sailor is kidnapped by evil "wytches" who live in the forest. Apparently people can "pledge" children to these entities in return for favors. Sailor's father sets out to save Sailor and uncovers a lot of secrets along the way.

I really liked the premise of this graphic novel. I think the idea would be great played out in a movie or more lengthy novel. It was definitely terrifying and scary in all the right places and the ending provided enough twists and turns to keep the reader on their toes. While the artwork was good, in places, it was also messy. Basically some of the pages were intentionally done in a haphazard fashion, I suppose to heighten the darkness of the plot. but I found those visually annoying. There was too much going on with those pages for my brain to sift through what it was supposed to be seeing (this might have been complicated by the fact that I read it while on cold medicine too - perhaps not the greatest choice).

There is some narrative at the end of the book which I enjoyed reading and which shows this project really was a labor of love for Snyder. I'm glad I was finally able to make time for "Wytches" and if you are a fan of horror tales and graphic novels, I would definitely recommend picking it up.


RATING: 4 PAWS
 

13 comments:

  1. I've been curious about this too. I always see it around, so I'm glad you finally found a copy. Sounds like my type of horror!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy it. I have since found out that the author is working on another installment so now I'll have to be on the lookout for that one too.

      Delete
  2. This sounds pretty awesome and I definitely want to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of the story but I would definitely be annoyed by the "messy" artwork. I haven't really tried too hard to read graphic novels yet. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the one downfall of the book. Otherwise I really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  4. I would enjoy this. Witches make for some great books. And I would like more graphic novels in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give almost any book with witches in it a chance. I like graphic novels from time to time to mix things up.

      Delete
  5. Oh, cool. I'm going to see if my library has this. I need a new graphic novel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, this sounds fantastic and such a me book. Mad all over again that my library hasn't bought this. I even asked nicely. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked this one. Another great idea I got from your blog :) I scheduled my review it for September in preparation for the spooky season :) I agree it would make a great movie. quite unique!

    ReplyDelete