Tuesday, May 16, 2017

TTT - Mother's Day Freebie

This top 10 weekly meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and can be found HERE.  Each week they focus on lists which cover various topics related to books and reading. 

So today is a Mother's Day freebie.  Now I don't want to offend any mothers out there because yes, you do deserve to be celebrated.  But what about those who can't have kids?  Or the ones who chose not to have kids?  Where is their holiday?  Little biased aren't we?

So in light of my feelings, I am sharing with you the best Doggy Mom's I've ran across in books. ENJOY!!!


Alex Halstad from "House Trained."  Alex is motherless by choice and would rather parent her dog Marie instead. 



Jane Bailey lost both her husband and her dog within weeks of each other - and she actually thinks she mourning her dog more.  If you can't tell, Jackie Bouchard writes awesome Dog Moms and she herself is one as well (waving at Jackie and Rita).


Elvis' mom Callie Jones is a wonderful pet parent...even if Elvis has yet to forgive her for adopting other pets as well.  


Mac Harris not only rescues Tulip from an alley, she quickly decides to adopt her as well.  In return, Tulip reunites her with her former fling, Gavin, who just happens to be the town vet.


I can't forget Smooshie's mom, Lily.  She also adopts Smooshie and they quickly become the best of friends.  She allows Smooshie to kiss her in the face and always makes room for her in bed.


Erin Taylor Young has written two wonderful books about her dog Henry.  Erin dearly loved the Henry despite all his issues and her books are must-reads for any dog lover (especially boxer lovers).


Almost all of Dillon's books are full of great dog moms but this one featuring Gina Bellamy and her rescue greyhound Buzz is one of my favorites.


Sara Renault loves her dog Cody and is a good mom until  she fell in love with someone who didn't care for dogs in the beginning.  Let's just put her in the questionable dog mom category for now.


It's no surprise McKinlay is now writing contemporary books featuring dogs because Lindsey, the town librarian is a wonderful Dog Mom to her pup Heathcliff (and I love the name too!)


McCoy wrote one of the best cozy mysteries series featuring dogs that I have found.  It's sad that she passed away before finishing the last book. However, Ellie and her relationship with her dog Rudy is one of the best I've seen in the cozy category.

So hope all mothers, no matter 2 legged or 4 legged children, had a wonderful holiday!  And yes, I do get Mother's Day gifts from the pups so the holiday isn't completely lost on me,


22 comments:

  1. I love greyhounds so A Hundred Pieces of Me looks great. Surviving Henry looks fun (nice goggles) and A Likely Story does too (been wanting to try Jenn McKinlay).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite Dillon books and I love everything I read by her.

      Delete
  2. I do agree with you. It's an excuse for shops and card sellers to make some extra money. I prefer to treat my dad to a surprise every so often to say I appreciate him all year round, not when I'm told to! Doggy mums is perfect for this blog! Love the cover for Rescue Me Maybe...what a cute furball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the right idea. We shouldn't just celebrate them one day a year right?

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you and love your list of mommy's who take care of their four legged babies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great selection. Gotta take care of the fur babies.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep seeing About a Dog everywhere! These all look so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute list! I'm especially chuckling at your description for Stepdog!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the book but that's always been my main pet peeve about it.

      Delete
  7. Mac was a really great dog mom. I have 2 human children and I didn't get anything so you did better than me :) My furry girls gave me lots of love though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. **waves back** Thank you so much for including me and my girls, Jane and Alex, and all our pups on your list! It's an honor!

    I can see there are some books I need to check out on this list! (And that Step Dog book - it kept me turning the pages, but man, it stressed me out in places!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a cute way to do this week's topic! I've always thought the holidays were a little exclusionary, so I try to use it as an excuse to spread the love to everyone.
    I decided to let my mum recommend books for this week's list: if you're interested in checking it out, you can find it here.

    ReplyDelete