Sunday, September 24, 2023

Farm News - September 24, 2023

 

Well fall is officially here, and I can't believe how fast the year is flying now.  I have always said once Halloween comes and goes, the rest of the year passes in a blink.  I'm going to start some Fall decorating this afternoon hopefully.  The weather has been cooler, and it drizzled some last night.  All three of our favorite college teams won yesterday and Mr. Barb's pro team plays tonight so we will watch it and I will get some good reading time in while doing so. 

A kid (and by kid, I mean he was 30 and teaching at the local community college) that goes to the same gym as Mr. Barb and who lives in our neighborhood was killed in tragic accident Friday night.  He was riding his motorcycle and was hit by an 18-year-old in a huge Ford F-150 type truck.  The truck went through an empty storefront causing the entire building to almost collapse and while the motorcycle landed in the front parking lot, the kid on it flew over the building and landed face down in an alley behind it.  I can't imagine what his family is going through and feel so badly for all who have been touched by this awful situation.  Definitely makes me appreciate each day a bit more.

On to cheerier thoughts.  I finished Ghost Tree yesterday evening. It's for an on-line book club with the discussion being next weekend.  I never read it when it was released although I always meant to, and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.  I need to read about 120 more pages of It in order to be at the halfway point by the end of the month.  This is a buddy read with Stormi and the second time for me, although it's been over 30 years since I first read it.  I'm also about 100 pages in Schrader's Chord and enjoying it a lot as well.  


I had a few holds come in this week from my library and I need to work them ALL in somewhere because I'm excited about all of them.  Well, I take that back.  I'm actually a bit hesitant about Delicate Condition but we started watching the new season of American Horror Story, which is based on this book this year, so I feel the need to read it before too many episodes release.  So far, it's only one. This season stars Kim Kardashian and I will admit I'm hesitant about that too!  I also was able to grab Good Bad Girl and The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic which is one of my most anticipated books for the year. 


Hope everyone is having a great weekend and thanks for visiting Booker T's Farm!

15 comments:

  1. I'm really curious to hear what you think about Delicate Condition as well as the TV show. I absolutely loved the book! Have a good week, barb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that fall brings cooler weather. And that kid who was killed in that accident...how sad! It does make you stop and appreciate the loved ones in your life. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's sad and I'm always cautious as a motorcycle rider myself. My first Harley was totaled by a guy in an F150 who hit me head on but I was lucky to fall to the side (I was at a stop sign and not moving when he hit me) so I was fine. I don't read horror but Delicate Condition has top reviews from what I have seen. I enjoyed Good Bad Girl.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. That accident is horrible. So sad. You are reading a lot of good books. Your buddy re-read of It makes me want to go back and read it again. I mean the movies were good, but so much different from the book that I was irritated as someone who loved and reread that book over and over. Hope you have a good week!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in Cracker Barrel yesterday and there was stuff out for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas lol. May as well jam it al ltogether because yes the rest of the year will go like a blur!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is sad of what happen. Hope the family is alright.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's terrible! Such a tragic accident. I don't think that I will do much decorating but I am ready for fall weather to get here! I think that I have The Ghost Tree on my shelf somewhere. I need to give it a try. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so sad about the accident. Tragic.

    Looks like you picked up some good books. Enjoy them. I hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That accident sounds horrendous and tragic. I’m sorry to hear that. Enjoy all your new books and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about that accident. Keeping those families up in prayer. I agree about the rest of the year flying by once Halloween comes. Nice books this week. Hope you enjoy them. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a horrible accident! Sounds like you are making good progress on the books you are reading. It does look like you have some good books. All of them are new to me. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved It!! Great books!!

    https://ustmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2023/09/its-monday-what-are-you-reading.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh, how awful for the young man killed. Riding a motorcycle is so risky these days with the way most people drive, and if you get in an accident, it usually doesn't end well because you are so unprotected compared to the driver in the car.

    I will have to check out the new season of American Horror Story. I did not realize it's started, and I did read Delicate Condition and loved it, so even though I wouldn't normally watch this show, I'm actually quite curious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry about your neighbor. I can't even imagine what his family is going through. 😔

    ReplyDelete