Thursday, September 14, 2023

2 Bloggers 1 Series - Jackaby (Jackaby #1)


So, Stormi actually convinced me to start another series with her this month!  Actually, it wasn't too hard and now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I convinced her.  Either way, I really enjoyed the first book and the series isn't an extremely long one so I'm glad we did.  So read on for my thoughts and then hop over to Stormi's to see what she thought as well.

 
TITLE: Jackaby (Jackaby #1)
AUTHOR: William Ritter
PUBLISHER: Algonquin Young Readers
PUBLISHING DATE: September 16, 2014
PAGES: 321   
SOURCE: Library


FROM GOODREADS: Newly arrived in New Fiddleham, New England, 1892, and in need of a job, Abigail Rook meets R. F. Jackaby, an investigator of the unexplained with a keen eye for the extraordinary--including the ability to see supernatural beings. Abigail has a gift for noticing ordinary but important details, which makes her perfect for the position of Jackaby’s assistant. On her first day, Abigail finds herself in the midst of a thrilling case: A serial killer is on the loose. The police are convinced it’s an ordinary villain, but Jackaby is certain the foul deeds are the work of the kind of creature whose very existence the local authorities--with the exception of a handsome young detective named Charlie Cane--seem adamant to deny.

MY THOUGHTS: I will first say that I'm not exactly sure why this book is classified YA.  On the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter to me, but I will admit I find it a bit odd. I think it may have actually missed out on a bunch of readers through the classification and will say if that has held you back on starting this series, you might rethink your decision.

Abigail Rook arrives in New England with no real prospects.  All she knows is that she is running from her parents with money that had provided for her education in search of adventure.  She is looking for a job when she sees a posting for an assistance.  She immediately takes off and through some unconventional job interview excursions, she ends up getting the job. While Abigail loves the idea of being a "detective," she has no idea she is about to encounter a world full of supernatural beings and magical elements.

This book sort of reminds me of the Veronica Speedwell series, except perhaps a little younger with more paranormal elements.  Jackaby is odd, quirky and so much fun and the interaction between him and Abigail is quite humorous and witty.  There are some interesting side characters, like Officer Charlie Cain who happens to catch Abigail's eye, who me to play an important part in the conclusion and hopefully the series going forward.  There is also a beautiful pond in the attic and an ex-apprentice of Jackaby who now lives there as a duck.  If that isn't enough to make you curious, I don't know what is!

This would be a perfect addition to someone's spooky TBR this season of they are looking for mystery and a bit of supernatural but they want to stay away from the horror genre.

MY RATING: 4 PAWS



RAT

5 comments:

  1. I read this back when it was released but I never finished the series. I'm looking forward to your upcoming reviews😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to get to the next one to see what happens as this one was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a selection for COYER book club but I didn't read it since it was YA. Glad to see you enjoyed it.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book! It's my favorite one in this series...though they are all good. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had this on my Kindle forever. I might even have the second one, ha ha. Maybe I'll read it next month. 🍂

    ReplyDelete