Friday, February 2, 2018

Weekly Reads (02/02/18)


HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY!!!

I can't believe it's February already.  And as I usually compose these a day ahead of time, I'm wondering how many people want to mow down the darn groundhog right now?  I've always been skeptical of his weather forecasting abilities anyway.  Plus, if he did see his shadow - I'll just introduce him to Cass.

So the streak of bad movies continues.  We ended up streaming Blade Runner 2049 last weekend and I couldn't even finish it.  I'm pretty sure I saw the first one and didn't hate it so I don't know what happened with this one.  It was 2 hours 45 minutes and it was soooo slow.  I even went to bed before it went off.  I asked Mr. Barb how it ended and without spoiling anything he commented "I don't know, it went off.  Best thing that happened in the movie." 


However, I did start watching a new series which I'm finding promising.  It's on WGN on Direct so I don't know where everyone else can get it but I think it's showing on Hulu too.  It's called Bellevue and here's the synopsis:

Thrilling and eerie, Bellevue is a mystery set in a small blue-collar town with a lot of 'good people' who 'live right' and take it upon themselves to make sure the neighbours do too. Driving the series is Detective Annie Ryder (Anna Paquin), a cop whose intense and brazen personality has always been at odds with her hometown. When a transgender teen goes missing, Annie dives in to unravel the disappearance that suggests foul play, despite finding herself in a difficult position as she must cast suspicion on people she has known all her life. As the case pulls her further away from her family, she is also confronted by a mysterious person from her past with disturbing answers and a terrifying need to get inside her head.


If I can wrap my head around Anna Paquin not being Sookie, I think this one might be pretty promising.  

So I REALLY need to get some major reading done this weekend and upcoming week.  I'm enjoying "Smoke City" but to call it odd is an understatement.  Not a lot is happening but the characters are such interesting train wrecks that it's hard to look away.  I am also determined to start Wolf Blood since I didn't get to it in January.  Then I'm onto a book I grabbed at the library, which you will also see in my haul tomorrow.  Of course, the way I'm feeling, I may pick up something entirely different after finishing Smoke City.



So Booker T and Cassius wanted to say hello. I took these really quickly this past week on one of the warmer days.  Cass is looking at a bird on the fence - that's his "I want to fly" look.




Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and week ahead.  GO EAGLES!!!!! (because even though our teams didn't make it, Cass wants the birds to win).

22 comments:

  1. Oh no, don't the poor furry groundhog! He's so cute! I never liked the first Blade Runner film...I found it boring and weird so nothing will get me watching the new one! Nice photos of the furry boys...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that he's cute and whether he sees his shadow or not, there's still 6 weeks of winter on the calendar - silly people.

      Delete
  2. I hear you about Bladerunner -- I desperately wanted to like it all, but I really didn't. There was a certain poetry to bits of it, but .... eyah, I have to be in the RIGHT moood for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why they feel the need to remake so many movies. Every once in a while is okay, but it really seems to be a trend now.

      Delete
  3. Hi Booker. Looks like you are enjoying your outdoor time. :-)
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He definitely was. I run home at lunch and let them out and Booker always wants to take more time than I really have :)

      Delete
  4. Hello, boys! Aren't you looking handsome :)

    My daughter and her bf saw Blade Runner in the theater and they despised it. Sorry you had to sit through some of it!

    I caught the tail end of a commercial for Bellevue and remember thinking Sookie finally landed another job. I hate starting new series because they usually get cancelled on me. Let us know if it continues to be something worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine seeing that movie in a theater - talk about torture. I like Bellevue but she's still Sookie to me. I think it's her voice. She still has that tone and accent so that must really be her. Like you, I'm afraid to get too invested becaused WGN canceled Salem and The Outsiders - 2 series I really liked and now missed (well, maybe not Salem so much).

      Delete
  5. I really hope Bellevue comes on Netflix as I really want to see it!! Cass's look cracks me up!! Hope you get some good reading in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL about the groundhog and meeting Cass. :)

    Blade Runner 2049 was sooo slow and boring, I agree. Way too long also.

    And yes go Eagles!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think that I liked the first Bladerunner so I think I will be skipping the remake. I saw previews for Bellevue and thought is sounded good. Glad you liked it. She will always be Sookie though. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Booker T and Cass!

    I'm having the same feeling of needing to get some major reading done this weekend. Thankfully I have some audio to listen to while I work around the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to have music on when I'm working around the house. Audio books make me sleepy!

      Delete
  9. Oh no I rented Blade runner 49 for the weekend from redbox. Thanks for the heads up. Your pups are adorable! We are supposed to get more snow this week. ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had better luck with it than I did and also that you didn't get too much snow. The boys say THANKS!

      Delete
  10. Oh Bellevue sounds awesome!! And AWW!! Such cute photos! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's disappointing to hear about the new Blade Runner. I still want to see it, but it probably won't be for a while. We're still catching up with movies, and only watched IT this weekend!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved IT but then I figured I would. That being said, it wasn't as good as I expected. I'm looking forward to seeing the second half and watching both of them together.

      Delete