Sunday, February 4, 2018

Well Now THAT Was Interesting - Ricochet Joe Review

TITLE:  Ricochet Joe (Kindle in Motion-Single)
AUTHOR: Dean Koontz
PUBLISHER: Amazon Original Stories
PUBLISHING DATE: December 28, 2017

FROM GOODREADS: Can an ordinary guy make extraordinary choices in a battle between humanity and unearthly evil?
Joe Mandel is a perfectly ordinary guy from a perfectly ordinary town—a college student and community volunteer who dreams of one day publishing a novel. When a series of strange intuitions leads him to a crime in progress, Joe jumps headlong into danger without hesitation. In the aftermath, he wonders about the uncanny impulse that suddenly swept over him.
Until new friend Portia Montclair, the strangely wise daughter of the local police chief, explains to him what sent him ricocheting around town like a crazy pinball. Portia tells of another reality, a reality more thrilling—and terrifying—than Joe ever imagined. Timeless, elemental forces of good and evil have come to the quiet town of Little City: a cosmic entity capable of infecting human beings, and the seeker who has chosen Joe to find it.
To stop the malevolent invader, this average Joe must be braver than he ever thought possible…and face the hardest decisions of his life.
MY THOUGHTS: So I saw "Ricochet Joe" reviewed on another blog (Ruff Day Reviews) and it sounded like an interesting enough novella, especially given there was a time I would devour several Koontz books a year. I was hesitant because it was "Kindle in Motion" title but when I saw that through Prime, I could borrow it for free, I figured I had nothing to lose. 
Joe is an average college student in an average small town. One day, he starts "ricocheting" around town - meaning he would touch an object and a word would pop in his head and then he would run and find that object and so on and so on. Along his way, he joins up with Portia, the sheriff's daughter who is one of the few people who know what is going on. Apparently there is a "parasite" in town causing havoc and spreading evil and Joe has been chosen by The Seeker - who comes in the form of a Golden Retriever, to save the community. Along the way, Joe must learn about the space/time continuum and how things can be altered.

This was a fun read. The interactive bits provided by Kindle in Motion weren't overly fantastic but they did add some fun. There is especially one where you get to see the parasite that was just pretty awesome in my opinion. I could have easily read this in one setting if I hadn't started it so late one night and I definitely feel it's worth the read if you get a chance and are a Koontz fan.

And come on, you know the Golden Retriever alone scores some points from me especially since it is an all-knowing, all-seeing cosmic power! Go Koontz!

RATING: 4 PAWS




CHALLENGES: What an Animal (because of the Golden Power who holds all the knowledge) and Swords & Stars - read a book with time travel.

22 comments:

  1. Wow, a highly rated modern Koontz. I'm glad to see that. I'm not sure I'll ever read a Koontz again. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hesitant to pick up his newer stuff although I would like to read the Odd Thomas series. This was only about 100 pages long so I thought it would be worth the risk. He has totally switched gears with his writing though and I do like his older works much better.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of Kindle in Motion, but it sounds interesting? I was a huge Dean Koontz fan back in the day, I'd love to catch up with his work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love him and then fell off the bandwagon a few years ago. I have read all his Trixie books though and thought it was great he managed to work a Golden Retriever into a sci-fi novella.

      Delete
  3. Anything with pups is always a winner in my opinion! Thank you so much for mentioning me. This was just a fun, weird read, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had skipped over this title several times until I saw your review and realized I needed to give it a chance.

      Delete
  4. Ah! This sounds so good!!! I have a few books by Dean Koontz, but I haven't had the chance to read them yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His older stuff is definitely better in my opinion but since this is just a short read, it's also a good place to start.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a good read. I don't think I've read any books by Koontz. The challenges you have for 2018 look like fun. Hope you gave a great week!
    Cricket @ Little Library Muse

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this one on Amazon and was curious if it was worth picking up. Sounds like I am going to have to borrow this one from Prime Reading very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I got it. Since I wasn't out anything, I figured it was definitely worth the risk.

      Delete
  7. I am a HUGH Dean Koontz fan. He was the one that got me into reading in HS. I haven't - shame on me, read him in a long time so there are some books I am missing. I loved your review and just means I have ONE more book to read!

    Mary @StackingMyBookShelves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading him a lot in high school and college as well. I was always grabbing books by him and King. It was nice to revisit a old fave.

      Delete
  8. What is Kindle in Motion? It sounds cool? The Golden Retriever addition made me smile in and among all the other elements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically it's an illustrated book on kindle were some of the artwork actually moves. For example, it it was talking about someone being stabbed, you might see the knife with drops of blood dripping off of it. I actually liked it and am interested to see what other titles come out. And yes, the Golden was classic Koontz.

      Delete
  9. This is one author that I've found to be hit and miss for me and I haven't read any of his stuff in a long time. I loved Lightning, Icebound and The Face of Fear though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read Lightning but not the other two. I hope to start the Odd Thomas books sometime later this year.

      Delete
    2. Odd Thomas (#1) is such a great book. I couldn't get into the 2nd one though :(

      Delete
  10. Golden retriever and a good review? I'll have to grab this one audio. He can be so preachy sometimes. Does that happen at all here?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a cool read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! It's been so long since I've read anything by Dean Koontz.

    ReplyDelete