Sunday, August 13, 2023

Farm News - August 13, 2023

 


So, this week started off with a storm that made me no longer question whether or not Mother Nature is completely pissed off at mankind.  We had almost 4 inches of rain in an afternoon and two tornado watches that had my phone screaming at me to take cover and had me under the table with Apollo. Have I mentioned I have a HUGE fear of storms?  Yea, I'm pretty sure I had.  Anyway, our city has HORRIBLE drainage so whenever it rains just a normal amount, I know what parts of the city to avoid but it never lasts too long.  They refuse to do anything about it and then something like this happens which makes them scramble.  I doubt even Pennywise would take up residence in our drains and would take one tour of them and be like "Nope, not for me."  Anyway, here is a picture of our "main drag."  There are three lanes of road hiding there somewhere. For the record, that is a pic from the news, and I didn't dare venture out in that crap.


Besides that, the week went fine.  It did cool down some and there were days when Apollo even got three walks or playtime in the backyard.  Mr. Barb's back is on the mend, and he is down to PT one day a week.  Hope whatever has been done sticks this time.  We didn't really watch much this week that was all that notable.  I don't think we've recovered yet from our Insidious: Red Door experience.  Plus, it's also preseason football time so that means more TV for Mr. Barb and more watching/reading for me.

Speaking of reading, here are the books currently on the TBR stack this weekend.  I feel like August is already getting away from me!  I am reading The Dog Knight for the Dog Days of Summer Challenge.  It has such colorful artwork and lots of dogs.  I can't wait.  I have also started Looking Glass Sound.  I have read two books by this author.  The House at the End of Needless Street was a complete miss for me but I did enjoy Sundial. And I'm craving a vampire read so I may start Vampires of El Norte soon as well.  I never read The Hacienda but if I like this one, I'll definitely go back to it.


Finally, I want to thank the publishers and Netgalley for some ARCs I recently received.  Enchanted to Meet You by Meg Cabot sounds super cute and of course, that purple cover caught my eye.  Plus it's the start of a new witchy series.  I couldn't resist Slime Doesn't Pay as I'm also looking for an excuse to visit the Goosebumps world.  And finally, I was thrilled to get Out There Screaming which is an anthology edited by Jordan Peele.  I love his movies and can't wait to see what I think of this book. I'm even tempted to preorder the hardcover which releases October 3rd.


So how was your week?  Hope everyone is safe and I suppose a lot of people are gearing for back to school.  Have you watched any good movies or read any good books?


18 comments:

  1. So sorry about the storms, that flooding is awful! I usually get excited when it storms like that but only because I've never lived in places that get thunder and lightning. I'm finishing up Vampires Of El Norte today, I love it but it's more of a historical romance than a vampire story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly are attracted to all those horror books! I'm glad you enjoy them. It's great your weather has cooled and calmed down. That's some flooding. Happy reading!

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love being tucked up inside when it's stormy but I don't think I'd enjoy hiding under a table during a tornado warning! Mother nature is TRULY pissed at us all... One glance at the news and the weather events around the world confirm that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your books look really good. I hope you enjoy them. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow- that's flooded! Hope the ARC's are good, and Vampires looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our planet is so angry! That flooding looks terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am excited for that Meg Cabot book too!! I don't hate storms, kind of love them, used to think I wanted to be a storm chaser. But I think we got a ton of rain today and I had to drive through some areas. I never understand why someone drives through that much water though, like in the picture you shared! That's crazy! Hope you have a good week and get some reading done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have Slime Doesn't Pay! too! October short book buddy read since we might need something short? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love storms, but I would not love all that flooding and I'm terrified of tornado watches and warnings. I would've been under the table with you.

    Curious about the Jordan Peele book and that reminds me I need to watch Knock at the Cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope the storms have moved on and are no longer bothering you. Flooding like that is terrible to drive in. I hope none of those cars got stuck tryin to drive through.

    I'm having trouble believing August is almost half way over. It's getting away from me too. I hope you are enjoying your reading. Vampires of El Norte caught my eye too. It sure sounds good.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tornadoes definitely terrify me, I’m glad they didn’t touch down, though I’m sorry for the flooding.
    The Cabot series looks promising

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's terrible. I'm with you on the storms. I don't like thunderstorms at all. I'm especially fearful of even the mere mention of tornadoes in the forecast. I hope it's a calmer week for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That's a lot of rain! Here in Northern Minnesota we are under drought conditions. We haven't had more than a sprinkle of rain for months. I'm not familiar with any of the books you mentioned but do hope you enjoy them all. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How horrible! I hope the clean up goes quickly and smoothly and wishing you some better weather in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that's a lot of water. I'm glad you're okay. Looking Glass Sound is on my radar, so I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That storm looks scary! Too bad they don't want to fix the problem! I really liked Looking Glass Sound but I have liked everything I read by the author. I hope that you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow that really does look like a huge problem. It's good you didn't have to go near it. 😯

    I hope your weather gets better with no storms. It's been rather cold here. 😛

    ReplyDelete