Friday, August 18, 2023

Talk About a Roommate Nightmare!

 

TTITLE: My Roommate is a Vampire
AUTHOR: Jenna Levine
PUBLISHER: Berkley
PUBLISHING DATE: August 29, 2023
PAGES: 336   
SOURCE: ARC


FROM GOODREADS: Cassie Greenberg loves being an artist, but it’s a tough way to make a living. On the brink of eviction, she’s desperate when she finds a too-good-to-be-true apartment in a beautiful Chicago neighborhood. Cassie knows there has to be a catch—only someone with a secret to hide would rent out a room for that price. 
Of course, her new roommate Frederick J. Fitzwilliam is far from normal. He sleeps all day, is out at night on business, and talks like he walked out of a regency romance novel. He also leaves Cassie heart-melting notes around the apartment, cares about her art, and asks about her day. And he doesn’t look half bad shirtless, on the rare occasions they’re both home and awake. But when Cassie finds bags of blood in the fridge that definitely weren’t there earlier, Frederick has to come clean... 
Cassie’s sexy new roommate is a vampire. And he has a proposition for her.

MY THOUGHTS: I was extremely excited to jump into this book when I first saw it because I loved me a good rom com with supernatural elements.  While I enjoyed My Roommate is a Vampire, it didn't exactly hit for me the way I had hoped.

Cassie is a down-on-her-luck art major working two jobs and still unable to make ends meet.  When the book opens, Cassis is being evicted and with encouragement from her friend, responds to an ad for a roommate is a ritzy apartment building for only $200.00 a month.  Cassie expects a serial killer and is surprised to find Frederick, a quirky, hot man in his mid-30's who looks like he walked out of a regency romance.  Unbeknownst to Cassie, Frederick is a 300-year-old vampire who slept the last 100 years away due to a cold prank from his best friend Reginald and he needs to find someone who can help him get up to speed with modern day society.

I liked Cassie and I liked Frederick, but I didn't really love either one of them.  There were times Cassie was annoying at best and there were other times I wanted to smack Frederick as well.  Once Cassie learns the truth, the book takes a turn, and something happens at the end which forces Cassie to accept her feelings for Frederick and she has to work to rescue him.  

The main drama at the end was tied so quickly and in such a feeble manner that I just couldn't buy it - which is saying a lot for a book with a supernatural character to begin with.  In addition, Cassie must have said "please" 15 times in one hot and spicy scene with Frederick and it was not endearing, cute or romantic.

The book wasn't bad overall, and I would recommend it to people who love romance with an unrealistic element.  I would definitely give this author another go and while I didn't fall in love with Cassie or Reginald, I did absolutely adore Frederick's best friend/nemesis Reginald.  The prologue at the end makes me hopeful that the author is planning a companion novel for Reginald, hopefully called "My Accountant is a Human."  

RATING: 3 PAWS


6 comments:

  1. Many romance books don't have enough plot for me right now and I'm moody about supernatural creatures too. So when I get moody I read more urban fantasy or mystery/thrillers it seems.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got this one on hold at my library, so hopefully I don't end up hating it. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping you would like this more. I am probably picking this up next, so we'll see how it works for me!

    ReplyDelete