Tuesday, May 14, 2019

TTT - Books to TV/Movie Adaptations: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The top 10 weekly meme used to be hosted by The Broke and the Bookish they  handed over the reins to ThatArtsyReaderGirl who can be found HERE.  Each week she will focus on lists which cover various topics related to books and reading.

This week we are looking at adaptations.  Now I am one whose general rule is read the book before watching the show.  And to be honest, usually the book is better.  I have ran into a few I really really enjoyed and in a few isolated incidents, where I actually liked the movie better.

THE GOOD

What Dreams May Come (from Richard Matheson's book of the same name) - This is one of my favorite movies EVER.  If you haven't seen it do so NOW!  I actually read the book and didn't care for it at all.  

Bridget Jones's Diary (Helen Fielding) - Having seen the movie years before I read the book, I actually think the movie was pretty good and think it's a good watch even without ever reading the novel.


The Shining - Stephen King.  Now the book is probably my favorite King book ever but I really enjoyed the movie as well. I have difficulty with the endings being off but I liked them both.  And I think the casting was spot on.


Practical Magic - Alice Hoffman -  Again, I actually liked the movie better than the book.  That being said, the prequel book that came out last year, The Rules of Magic, is another favorite book and I can't recommend it enough.


Rosemary's Baby - Ira Levin.  The book was pretty good but I really liked the movie as well.

THE BAD & THE UGLY


The Midnight, Texas Trilogy - Charlaine Harris.  These books were soooo much better than the series and a lot better than the Sookie Stackhouse mysteries.


Gone Girl - Gilliam Flynn.  I think I'm just a little biased on this one because I hated both.


Eragon - Christopher Paolini.  Save yourself and don't even watch this movie. 


Interview with a Vampire - Anne Rice.  I think lots of people really liked the movie but I couldn't get past the casting.  Tom Cruise = creepiest vampire ever.  


Dreamcatcher - Stephen King.  I really just liked the book better.  If I hadn't read it, maybe I wouldn't have been as disappointed with the movie adaptation.

So actually I had better luck with this topic than I anticipated.  Can't wait to see everyone else's list this week!

34 comments:

  1. You've mentioned some of my favorite movies: What Dreams May Come (and I loved the book too!), Bridget Jones Diary, Rosemary's Baby and Practical Magic! Now that I think about it, I've read all the books too and loved them😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to watch What Dreams May Come again soon. It's done so well and I think Robin Williams did a great job in it.

      Delete
  2. I guess I must have known that What Dreams May Come was based on a book, but I don't remember? I was surprised to see it here. I LOVED the movie. I should watch it again. Ugh, but it was so devastating. In a good way.

    I don't think I've watched a lot of these movies, but I remember not being particularly impressed with the Eragon movie (I never read the book). And I definitely preferred Anne Rice's book to the movie for Interview With The Vampire. I just felt like ... something ... was missing in the film. Not sure what. Great list!

    Here's my TTT post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sammie and thanks for visiting. I ADORE What Dreams May Come but I totally understand your devastating feeling.

      Delete
  3. DOn't even get me started on the ERAGON movie!!! It could have been so great! It could have been another Lord of the Rings franchise. I heard Paolini talk about the movie and he doesn't like it either and I think if he had to do it over again, he would make sure he had more control over the movie. He also said don't count out another Eragon movie but he said that awhile ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too bad they don't redo it. It did have a lot of potential and dragons are so popular right now.

      Delete
  4. I need to try the Bridget Jones books as I liked the movies. I liked Dreamcatcher but I haven't read the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually just liked the movies. I found the book kind of annoying.

      Delete
  5. you dug up some good ones. thanks for sharing
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interview with a Vampire - the book was definitely WAY better! I agree that Tom Cruise was a weird choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely. I really liked Queen of the Damned better movie wise.

      Delete
  7. I had no idea Where Dreams May Come was a book first. The film version was fabulous, though.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not read the Bridget Jones Diary book, but I loved the film. I enjoyed Gone Girl, but then I liked the book, so I suppose that's the difference!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/05/14/top-ten-tuesday-211/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People either loved or hated Gone Girl. It was so popular several years ago.

      Delete
  9. I agree with you so much on Interview (and all of the rest that I've seen). Tom Cruise? Eh, no. Just no way. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I ever got over him as a vampire. I think he made Edward look good which is saying a lot.

      Delete
  10. I liked the movie version of Practical Magic better than the book, too. And that fight scene in Bridget Jones between Hugh Grant and Colin Firth makes me laugh every time! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really don't like the Midnight, Texas tv show - it's so cheesy! My husband watched it and I would just read instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that HBO or Showtime would have done it. I think they could have done a better job.

      Delete
  12. I love Practical Magic. My sister loved Interview With A Vampire and I enjoyed Dreamcatcher.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMGGGGGGGGGG. What Dreams May Come. I LOVED that movie -- and I've had Robin Williams on the brain since some news about Aladdin came out this week (I love his genie, but I think Will Smith's is getting such an undeserved bad rep)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand the Will Smith hating either. But yes, I'll always be a Robin Williams fan. I keep meaning to pick up the book about him that came out a few months ago.

      Delete
  14. I must admit that I was never much of a fan of The Shining book or film but Jack does portray the madness well. I tend to just like watching from where he first attacks Wendy and she locks him up! (I have it on a double disk with The Exorcist). Stephen King adaptations are always hit and miss though! I always meant to watch Practical Magic but never got round to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are some great scenes and yes, King adaptations are always rather scary - and not for the genre either but for how well they are done.

      Delete
  15. Toooootally agree with you with Gone Girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It's rare that I find someone who agrees with me on that one.

      Delete
  16. I didn't know What Dreams May Come was a book, did I? Hmm... something says I did, but I am not totally sure. I definitely know I haven't read it, so I'm going to look for it on Hoopla. It's one of my all time favorite movies, too! 💜✨

    I agree with the Practical Magic movie being better than the book. I love the movie and I hated the book. I think the film fixed everything that was wrong with the book. Ha ha. I loved The Rules of Magic, also. I wish they would make it into a movie, or a miniseries. 👍✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rules of Magic would make a great miniseries!

      Delete
  17. I loved both the books and tv show for Midnight Texas - I started watching the show before jumping into the books though - although they're really different from each other I think I actually liked the show a little more. Probably because it leans into the fantasy stuff more. :)

    ReplyDelete