Thursday, January 21, 2021

2 Bloggers 1 Book - An Unexpected Peril

 

This month Stormi and I are revisiting one of our favorite series.  I'm always happy when we get to skide into Veronica and Stoker's world again.  So check out my review and then hop over to Stormi's at to   Books, Movies, Reviews! Oh My! to see her opinion! 

TITLE: An Unexpected Peril
AUTHOR: Deanna Raybourn
PUBLISHER: Berkley
PUBLISHING DATE: March 2, 2021
PAGES: 336
SOURCE: ARC


FROM GOODREADS: 

A princess is missing, and a peace treaty is on the verge of collapse in this new Veronica Speedwell adventure from the New York Times bestselling and Edgar Award-nominated author Deanna Raybourn. 
January 1889. As the newest member of the Curiosity Club—an elite society of brilliant, intrepid women—Veronica Speedwell is excited to put her many skills to good use. As she assembles a memorial exhibition for pioneering mountain climber Alice Baker-Greene, Veronica discovers evidence that the recent death was not a tragic climbing accident but murder. Veronica and her natural historian beau, Stoker, tell the patron of the exhibit, Princess Gisela of Alpenwald, of their findings. With Europe on the verge of war, Gisela's chancellor, Count von Rechstein, does not want to make waves—and before Veronica and Stoker can figure out their next move, the princess disappears. 
Having noted Veronica's resemblance to the princess, von Rechstein begs her to pose as Gisela for the sake of the peace treaty that brought the princess to England. Veronica reluctantly agrees to the scheme. She and Stoker must work together to keep the treaty intact while navigating unwelcome advances, assassination attempts, and Veronica's own family—the royalty who has never claimed her.

MY THOUGHTS: As I mentioned, I'm always excited when there is a new Veronica and Stoker book coming out.  I've pretty much loved the whole series and it's definitely one of my favorite.  In this installment, there are basically two mysteries and if you want to see how they tie together, then you'll just have to read it.

A famous Alpenwald mountain climber, Alice Baker-Green plummeted to her death doing what she loved.  The Curiosity Club, a woman-centered society, is doing an exhibition honoring her life, and while putting it together, they stumble on something which indicates the death might not have been accidental.  The Alpenwald royalty have traveled for the opening when Princess goes missing.  While her court basically knows she just takes off from time to time, they do need her presence and since Veronica really resembles her, they convince her, against Stoker's wishes, to pose as Gisela.

So basically there is a whole lot going on in this book.  Once again, I love the relationship and banter between Stoker and Veronica.  It never gets old to me and I'm glad that six books in that it still seems fresh and going strong.  I also feel that Raybourn does a great job weaving intricate mystery plots and I was never quite sure how this one would wrap up until it did.  However, I do believe that I enjoyed this one a tad less than those previously released.  I think it's because it went into a lot of detail about mountain climbing as well as royalty and all the trappings.  

I know Stormi loved this one more than I did but I still think it's a really strong book and anyone who is already in love with this series will definitely love it.  And if you haven't started the series, just think, you have the option to binge read at least the first six once this one is published - which I highly recommend.

RATING: 4 PAWS


10 comments:

  1. Yep, loved it more than you but I am glad you still enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so far behind in this series, I need to get busy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to catch up on book 5! I'm glad to hear it's still going strong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to try this series, especially since it seems like both you and Stormi have loved all the books😁

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love when a favorite author has a new book. great review
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  6. Binge reading a series is something I actually struggle to do for some reason! I seem to storm through two then drift off to something else! I like the idea of getting back to binge reading as I have a ton of series to catch up or finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read this series. I'm glad to hear it is pretty good.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  8. A series that remains strong. Definitely something to keep in mind - if I ever reduce the number of unfinished series on my list.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad you enjoyed this one. I guess I found the mountain climbing bits rather interesting. It was fun to see Veronica pose as royalty. Veronica and Stoker are always great together!

    ReplyDelete