Thursday, March 7, 2024

Demons, Werewolves and Lamias Oh My!

 

TITLE: That Time I Got Drunk and Saved a Demon (Mead Mishaps #1)
AUTHOR: Kimberly Lemming
PUBLISHER: Orbit
PUBLISHING DATE: January 2, 2024
PAGES: 288   
SOURCE: Library


FROM GOODREADS: Spice trader Cinnamon's quiet life is turned upside down when she ends up on a quest with a fiery demon in this irreverently quirky rom-com fantasy that is sweet, steamy, and funny as hell—perfect for fans of Legends & Lattes and The Dragon's Bride. 
All she wanted to do was live her life in peace—maybe get a cat, expand the family spice farm. Really, anything that didn't involve going on an adventure where an orc might rip her face off. But they say the Goddess has favorite, and if so, Cin is clearly not one of them... 
After saving the demon Fallon in a wine-drunk stupor, all Fallon wants to do is kill an evil witch enslaving his people. And, who can blame him? But he's dragging Cinnamon along for the ride. On the bright side, at least he keeps burning off his shirt.

MY THOUGHTS: I would love to be able to explain why I picked this up but I can't.  I've seen the series here and there and one night last week my curiosity got the best of me and I snagged it from Libby.  I'm glad I did and now I'm eagerly awaiting my hold request for book two.  

Cin is a spice trader who lives in a magical land protected by a Goddess.  She tries to stay as off radar as possible in order to keep her life free from the Goddess's intervention.  One night when stumbling home intoxicated from a local fair, Cin stumbles across an individual trapped in a rockslide.  She manages to free Fallon and in the process, almost becomes demon food.  Soon she learns that the Goddess is not true and pure and is instead an evil witch using her powers to control the mythical creatures within the land and make it look like she is actually protect her people.  Cin is tasked by Fallon to help him free the others, as it seems the cinnamon she harvests actually breaks the spell and tames the creatures under the Goddess's control.  Cin never wanted adventure and never wanted to fall in love with a demon, yet somehow her path seems set on both.

I loved the dynamic between Cin and Fallon.  It's basically an enemies to lovers trope set in a fantasy world and I found myself all in.  I enjoyed their banter and it was interesting seeing Cin change her opinion of Fallon while they are on their quest.  The reader gets to meet some new creatures along the way and the book easily sets the stage for future installments while wrapping up its plot so no loose strings are hanging at the end.

If you like quirky books and don't mind a bit of spice, you might want to check out this series.  I can't wait to continue and am so glad I took a chance. 

MY RATING: 4 PAWS


1 comment:

  1. I'm actually starting this tomorrow, and I can't wait! I'm glad you enjoyed it😁

    ReplyDelete