Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Feed Your TBR - This Cursed House

 

Can't Wait Wednesday, which I have adapted to better suit my blog as "Feed Your TBR" is a weekly meme hosted at Wishful Endings to spotlight highly anticipated books.  It is based on the Waiting on Wednesday meme which used to be hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.




October 8, 2024

FROM GOODREADS: In this Southern gothic horror debut, a young Black woman abandons her life in 1960s Chicago for a position with a mysterious family in New Orleans, only to discover the dark truth. They’re under a curse, and they think she can break it. 

In the fall of 1962, twenty-seven-year-old Jemma Barker is desperate to escape her life in Chicago—and the spirits she has always been able to see. When she receives an unexpected job offer from the Duchon family in New Orleans, she accepts, thinking it is her chance to start over. But Jemma discovers that the Duchon family isn’t what it seems. 

Light enough to pass as white, the Black family members look down on brown-skinned Jemma. Their tenuous hold on reality extends to all the members of their eccentric clan, from haughty grandmother Honorine to beautiful yet inscrutable cousin Fosette. And soon the shocking truth comes The Duchons are under a curse. And they think Jemma has the power to break it. 

As Jemma wrestles with the gift she’s run from all her life, she unravels deeper and more disturbing secrets about the mysterious Duchons. Secrets that stretch back over a century. Secrets that bind her to their fate if she fails.

WHY I CAN'T WAIT:  New Orleans setting, cursed families, family drama (that isn't mine).  Sounds like a wonderful October read for me.  I may even preorder it!

WHAT BOOK CAN'T YOU WAIT FOR THIS WEEK???

6 comments:

  1. This one is completely new to me! And it sounds great. I love the time period and the idea of a cursed family. Great choice Barb! Adding it to my TBR right now:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds exciting - and such a perfect pick for spooky season! Hope you enjoy the read come October!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good. New Orleans sounds like the perfect setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a book with a New Orleans setting! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good Southern Gothic story. And I can't say I've read many that take place in this time period. Definitely looks interesting. Putting it on my TBR. Hope we both enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so good! New Orleans is one of my favorite settings. Hope you enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete