Thursday, May 26, 2016

A Wonderful Short Story Discovery!

TITLE: Red as Blood and White as Bone
AUTHOR: Theodora Goss
PUBLISHER: Tor Books
PUBLISHING DATE: May 4, 2016

FROM GOODREADS: Red as Blood and White as Bone by Theodora Goss is a dark fantasy about a kitchen girl obsessed with fairy tales, who upon discovering a ragged woman outside the castle during a storm, takes her in--certain she’s a princess in disguise.
  

MY THOUGHTS: This is a recent short story published by Tor.com which I grabbed almost the instant I saw it because I fell in love with the beautiful cover. Klara works in the kitchen of a noble home in Eastern Europe. She is obsessed with fairy tales and prior to a large, upcoming ball, finds a worn and torn young lady collapsed outside the castle. Thinking she is a princess in disguise who has come to win the hand of the young eligible nobleman, Klara takes her in and hides her in her bedroom. Unbeknownst to Klara, all is not as it seems and maybe in her obsession with fairy tales, she has overlook some important clues.

I really enjoyed "Red as Blood and White as Bone." It is a engrossing, gothic tale and perfect to read before bed one night during a spring storm (on Friday the 13th nonetheless). I thought Goss's writing perfectly complimented the setting and while I knew part way through where the story was headed, it didn't make the journey any less enjoyable.

Being a short story, it's hard to say more and not give too much away. However, if you like fairy tales and dark, gothic settings, I doubt you will find this short tale a waste of your time. 


RATING: 4 PAWS



BOOKER T'S THOUGHTS:  Mom won't let me say anything...something about spoilers, so you will have to read this story to see what I'm giving it 4 paws as well!!! 

 

8 comments:

  1. Oh that is an epic if ominous title! I didn't even know Tor released short stories like this -- it's very original idea I think and I am so curious about the twist to the woman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear it was a good one, I picked this one up after seeing it on your stack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, sounds like a good one. I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just read it. Really good. Thanks for posting about it.

      Delete
    2. Glad you enjoyed it. I really liked it as well.

      Delete
  4. Now that sure sounds like a VERY spooky story, judging from the title! However, I think I'll read it, as it does sound very interesting indeed.

    That's a LOVELY cover, too! Thanks for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't read a lot of short stories but this does sound really good! I'll definitely have to check it out. Great review :D

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete