Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Can't Wait Wednesday (254) - The Horror Edition (even though the world is scary enough)


Can't Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted at Wishful Endings to spotlight highly anticipated books.  It is based on the Waiting on Wednesday meme which used to be hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.



FROM GOODREADSSpine-tingling stories that can be enjoyed all year round—this deliciously creepy and gorgeously wrought graphic anthology introduces a new generation to four literary giants—Ray Bradbury, Shirley Jackson, Stephen King, and Robert McCammon.

In the spring, a young girl hears a woman crying for help from beneath the dirt in her backyard, but no one seems to believe her…During summertime, a college student inexplicably walks deeper and deeper into the thick forest, until he happens upon a stone cottage whose inhabitants lead a very particular way of life…Before the fall chill arrives, a group of friends embark on an adventurous weekend to a remote lake where a sinister force awaits…In the dark depths of winter, behind frigid enemy lines, Great Britain’s most potent weapon against Nazi Germany lives between worlds: good and evil, and man and wolf….

With evocative prose and vivid illustrations, these unforgettable stories—“The Screaming Woman” by Ray Bradbury; “The Man in the Woods” by Shirley Jackson; “The Raft” by Stephen King; and “The Man from London” by Robert McCammon—embody the seasons in which they are set, bringing you to the very edge of reality, mixing the best elements of the mythology of our youth with the perilous horrors of adulthood.

WHY I CAN'T WAIT:  I got an email about this collection earlier this week and just felt like sharing it.  I don't know if any of the tales are really new but they are new-to-me and with King's name attached, I know I'll be buying a copy. 

CASSIUS'S PICK:


FROM GOODREADS: 
Who is the Riverdale Ripper? And why is Jughead waking up covered in blood?

Based on the original Archie Comics characters!

Everyone knows the characters from Riverdale: popular Archie Andrews, girl-next-door Betty Cooper, angsty Jughead Jones, and the sophisticated Veronica Lodge. But this is not the Riverdale you know and love. Something twisted has awoken in the town with pep. Inspired by the iconic Archie Horror comics, this reimagined universe takes the grittiness of the TV show and adds a paranormal twist.

Someone is killing the citizens of Riverdale. And after a bloody full moon, Jughead realizes he is the killer! Jughead is a werewolf. Can he keep this secret from his friends -- including werewolf-hunting Betty Cooper? Jughead has to get his dark side under control -- before it is controlling him.

The Archie Horror series contains all-new, original stories that fans of horror AND fans of Riverdale will eat up! 

WHY CASS CAN'T WAIT:  You know by now Mom loves all this Riverdale stuff so when I ran across a new one which features werewolves, I knew it would be perfect for her.  Plus it sounds like fun and can't we all use some fun right now?

And hey, do you think Apollo could be a werewolf?  I'm still not sure I trust him. I always thought he might be a vampire but I could have been wrong.  He does have fur!

WHAT BOOK CAN'T YOU WAIT FOR THIS WEEK????

42 comments:

  1. Nice, a horror edition! I'm not really into collections, but the Riverdale one sounds interesting!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this time I'm going with the Boxer Mommy pick because, sorry Cass, I don't do werewolves, ha ha, or any shape-shifters for that matter. Although I must say that I do love the cover! 🐺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a rather striking cover. Actually I'm not really thriller with the other cover too much and think they could have done better.

      Delete
  3. That's true Cass, your brother having fur makes me lean more to the werewolf idea than a vampire! Keep an eye on him at the full moon for confirmation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Auntie Chuckles! I see an experiment coming soon :) CASS

      Delete
  4. These both look like great escape reads! I hope that you enjoy them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are both new to me - hope you enjoy them!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sounds of the Riverdale one. I stopped watching the show a couple of seasons ago, but I might do a little binge watching since I seem to have time on my hands right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good time for it. I'm behind with this season but have watched the others.

      Delete
  7. I'm intrigued by the horror collection. It sounds like these are all reprints, but still a great way to showcase some "classic" horror authors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they sounded that way too but I don't think I've read any of them.

      Delete
  8. That's a perfect collection of horror short stories. I love all those authors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seasons of Terror sound great! And I like the sounds of A Werewolf in Riverdale too. Thanks for stopping by my CWW earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think any of the stories in Seasons of Terror are new, but I like how they're combining them, and I'm curious about the illustrations! Those would be new, at least. Sounds like a winning combination of authors to me.

    A horror series based around Archie? That sounds so cool! And nostalgic (though, I admit that Archie was a bit before my time and I never really got into them).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's some really fun YA book based on Riverdale and Sabrina and I see the "Dark" Nancy Drew ones are coming. They are quick fun reads. I would have adored them as a teenager.

      Delete
  11. Just started watching Riverdale, so now I probably need to read the books as well! I will have to check out the short story collection too, as Stephen King and Robert McCammon are some of my favorite horror authors! Great picks1 Thanks for visiting my Wednesday post at Lisa Loves Literature earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you loving Riverdale. It's nuts but so entertaining.

      Delete
  12. Ohhh, these sound great! I haven't read horror in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The collection sounds really good. And it might be distracting enough from the real world horrors right now to be even more enjoyable. And the Riverdale tale sounds interesting too. Hope you like them all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Right now I am happy when I can read a book at all, but reading horror? Um, no ...*smile* Hope you will enjoy them when you get them. Stay safe and healthy and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know some people can't read horror but I love it. I'm just glad there so much out there to read everyone can have favorites!

      Delete
  15. Oooh! A Werewolf in Riverdale sounds really interesting, especially if it's based off of Archie Comics! Great picks!

    Here’s my WoW!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. Sorry it took me so long to reply.

      Delete
  16. I love werewolves and the idea of Jughead as a werewolf just rocks. Plus I've long wanted Riverdale to go more in on the supernatural elements- remember the episode where they had to take that crate to the next town over, and it was creepy AF? I want more of THAT lol. I'm glad to see the comics go there more even when the show doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember some comics I read where Jug was a werewolf and Betty was a hunter. Yes! That crate was crazy.

      Delete
  17. LMAO, Jughead as a werewolf and Betty as a werewolf slayer? LOVE IT! Also, I think that anthology won me over with the idea that it's an introduction to those writes (yes I am a wuss, and I need my horror in small bursts lol) I'll atch for your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that horror collection will be one for you then! Hope you give it a try.

      Delete
  18. That graphic anthology sounds like the perfect read for fall, especially around Halloween. The Riverdale one sounds great too, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Lots of good books coming out in October. Hope we all get there safely.

      Delete
  19. I hope you enjoy both these as much as you expect to.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete