Monday, March 9, 2020

Why Am I Drawn To This Series??? - The Maple Murders Review

TITLE: The Maple Murders (Riverdale #3)
AUTHOR: Micol Ostow
PUBLISHER: Scholastic
PUBLISHING DATE: October 15, 2019


FROM GOODREADS: 

Riverdale is clamoring with excitement over news that an old town tradition is suddenly being revived: the Riverdale Revels.

The festival supposedly has a long history, dating back to the town's settlers' first successful maple tapping. But there's no record of the Revels anywhere. Archie, Betty, Veronica, and Jughead think there must be more to the story. And when a skeleton is uncovered in a 75-year-old time capsule on the first night of the festival, they know they're right. 

But a dead body in a maple barrel isn't the only drama surrounding the Revels. The Royal Maple pageant (open to all Riverdale teens) is in full swing, but "accidents" keep befalling the contestants, including the gang's friends. 

Someone is clearly trying to put an end to the Revels once and for all -- but who? And more importantly, why? Can Archie and his friends put a stop to the sabotage before someone puts a stop to them? This original novel features a story not seen on the show! 

MY THOUGHTS: So I pretty much am addicted to Riverdale and while I will admit this series isn't really that deep and probably aren't for people who don't follow the show, I will continue to read them as long as I can grab them from the library - or really really cheap.  Like free cheap.

In this installment, the town of Riverdale is trying to bounce back from some of the tragic incidents that have recently happened.  They decide to revive the Riverdale Revels, a celebration which hasn't happened in years.  As part of the celebration, the mayor has decided to dig up an time capsule buried over 75 years ago.  However, no one was prepared for the dead body with comes out when they release the contents.

Once again we have all the favorite cast - including Jughead which EVERYONE knows is dear to my heart.  Kevin, Toni and Cheryl are a little more prominent in this novel than the first two but primary because there is a pageant taking place and they are all involved.  I also continue to love how the books are told in a mixture of narratives, diary entries, newspaper articles, memos and texts.  The mystery in the novel is interesting but not really mind-blowing.  However I will add that the fun thing with this series is that it happens between the seasons of the CW television series.  So the tales are redundant but it does help if you have an idea what has happened on the show.

If you love Riverdale and even if you have teens who are enjoying the show and you want to get them to read more, than I recommend this series.  For hardcore mystery lovers who are considering it strictly for the mystery aspect, then you might want to find something else.

RATING: 3 PAWS

18 comments:

  1. It's great to find addictive comfortable book series! I love the covers, too. 👍✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the covers for the whole series have been very cool.

      Delete
  2. I love Riverdale and I can't believe I haven't freaking read these yet lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. When I think of my Riverdale obsession, I always think of you. I also need to catch up with this season. Did you hear they are doing a major time jump after this season and Hermoine and FP aren't coming back :(

      Delete
  3. I think that my daughter watches this show but I have never seen it. It doesn't sound like it would be a good pick for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No but I think you're daughter might love them.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes a good mindless read is what you need. Good fluff stuff and that is what this series is for you...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No harm at all in feeding that part of the brain that craves entertainment! Plots don't have to be deep and meaningful as look at there is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know Riverdale was a book too! I'll have to read it and watch it now! I'm not a hardcore mystery reader so hopefully that the fact that the mystery is not mind-blowing won't bother me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this would be great for those who don't read a lot of hardcore mystery!

      Delete
  7. Oooh, that cover's pretty! Sometimes, you like books just because. There's no logical explanation for it. xD I have a series like that, too. For me, it's the St. Mary's Chronicles series. So many things about the books drive me bonkers, but in the end, they're quick, easy reads, I love seeing the past, and they make me giggle like a school girl, so I keep reading them. You do what feels right for you and don't apologize for it. ;) Glad you enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read one book in that series and really enjoyed it. I never really apologize for what I read. I think we can all read whatever the heck pleases us :)

      Delete
  8. If it's a series you enjoy it doesn't matter why really. This just works for you and that's what counts.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! I love your Riverdale addiction. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE the show. It certainly took a weird turn, but I'm obsessed :)

    ReplyDelete